Ultimate Subaru Message Board

exaust gasket??

hi ive just recently brought a 87 ea82 leone. engine was very very tired so have brought and removed a newer one..

my question was do i need gasket for the exaust pipe. as my existing ones are off. and the new engine didn t have exaust..

any help and advice for change over would be good too. cheers guys

Yep, you'll need the exhaust gaskets. Would recommend replacing all the seals, IE; front/rear crank, camshaft. Would replace or reseal oil pump, replace water pump, timing belts, and tensioners if they don't spin freely, or if they have any wobble to them. Just best to do all of this while the engine is out of the car, than to need to do it afterwards is all.....

Tom's advice is excellent.

It sounds like you plan to keep this car for awhile, so let me also suggest you take a good look at the cooling system too. You don't want to lose that new motor because of a burst hose or a bad rad. You can do your flush (both directions) before removing the old motor.

Also, in conjunction with the exhaust, I would dimantle everything up to the cat, inspect and re-assemble . You'll wont have access this good until you do your next engine swap. I would install new studs so that next time you have to drop the Y, it'll go fast and easy.

good luck, John

where is bexley, oh? Both Tom and Myself have been yo Jim's place in ohio, And i have met with Alleyboy there too. we meet every so often. Jim goes as 86 subaru, he gots lots of parts if you may need something. look him up.

maybe a meet someday? We got out Subaru Alliance, local to the mi, oh, and indiana region. would like to get more members, and have another meet next may!

Miles:

Bexley is east of Columbus. Jim's stopped over a couple times. Easy drive, right off of I-70.

We should defintely do a garage party sometime this fall or winter. I got lots of stuff too, and it's about time to clean things out. I won't put you guys to work the way Jim does either!! I've got a woodburner, fridge and good tunes of course. Or I will try to catch up with you guys somewhere else.

John

hey, Jim made it well worth my while to work for him. but i told him i would have been just as happy if he only gave me the used timing belts!

we ought to plan something around the next time i come to jim's, on one of my 3-day weekends, jim could bring me down with him if he were to meet with you.

cheers guys for all the help..

engine transfer a sucess..

although i did thead one of the threads on the exaust.. **** it...

not to worry though i put a bolt left and right side of exuast and that seems to be holding it fine..

wow the powr difference is amazing.. and quiet too

:banana::clap::headbang:

DO NOT use bolts when attaching the exhaust to the head!!!!

From experience (2 different engines) I can tell you that this will work in the VERY short term, but those bolts will damage the threads in the head. Nothing but major trouble afterwards.

New studs are very inexpensive, compared to the trouble you'll save. Here in Ottawa, Canada, new studs can be bought for under C$ 3 each. You don't even have to buy them from a dealer -- I bought mine from a company that specializes in industrial fasteners (bolts, nuts, etc.)

You should replace the exhaust nuts too. They're stainless steel. Don't use lockwashers under the nuts -- use plain round stainless steel ones.

Apply liberal amounts of anti-seize compound when installing the studs and also when threading the nuts onto the *new* studs. Apply more of this stuff afterwards.

DON'T USE BOLTS.

Hint: The head has two pairs of threaded holes for exhaust studs. Only one pair is in use. If your Y-pipe has flanges that can be rotated, you can install new studs in the unused pair of holes in the head, and then put the Y-pipe flange into the alternate position. Unfortunately, not all Y-pipes have this kind of flange.

yeah they were studs on left and right side that i ripped out of old engine.. i will at some stage change the exaust around to use the 2 good holes. but thats a matter for exaust guy as im a shocking weilder.. tut tut.. good enough for now..