Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subie security light flashing now????????

car = 2004 outback wagon

issue = as of today my security light ( the one under the speedometer )

is flashing in pulses of two repetitions.

i.e.; flash flash.......... wait a second..........flash flash.....etc

this only occurs when the key is not in the start or run position. any time the key is off, or out of the switch it flashes.

other associated behavior = i've turned off the annoying " chirp " to signal lock engage / disengage, but now the parking lights don't flash to signal same.

no mention in the manual of what the two pulse flash means.

it seems to have occured with me having tried to lock the doors / set the alarm when the tailgate was still open.

I've cycled the doors / locks several times and have tried disconnecting the battery, but the flash flash persists.

any ideas on how to reset this?

thanks

craig

carlsbad ca

car = 2004 outback wagon

this only occurs when the key is not in the start or run position. any time the key is off, or out of the switch it flashes.

other associated behavior = i've turned off the annoying " chirp " to signal lock engage / disengage, but now the parking lights don't flash to signal same.

it seems to have occured with me having tried to lock the doors / set the alarm when the tailgate was still open.

I've cycled the doors / locks several times and have tried disconnecting the battery, but the flash flash persists.

thanks

craig

carlsbad ca

Possibly it is in 'valet mode'. Re-check your manual or try looking up some of the model specific alarm info at http://www.cars101.com .

Of course, someone here may chime in that has the same vehicle as you and experienced the same issue.

car = 2004 outback wagon

thanks

craig

carlsbad ca

This is the way my 00 OBW has always done. It hasn't caused me any problems. I just listen to the door locking noise when I push the buttons. BTW I hate the honky light flashy thingy.

Possibly it is in 'valet mode'. Re-check your manual or try looking up some of the model specific alarm info at

you are a genius

thank you

gort, klatuu nikto borani..................... or something close

you are a genius

no - just a widely read nerd with a slight case of Asperger's Syndrome

thank you

you're welcome! glad you got it fixed!