Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bringing back a car that sat for 2 years?

So this is the big weekend... the engine is going into my project RX. The car has been sitting for 2 years, but the engine and all attached parts have been removed, and the engine and all accessories going into it have only been sitting for 6 weeks and are proven to be good.

So, I have an engineless chassis that has been sitting. What should I check? Anything else to replace/watch out for? None of the brakes are frozen up, and the gas tank needs to be drained. That's all we can say for sure.

Tips?

So this is the big weekend... the engine is going into my project RX. The car has been sitting for 2 years, but the engine and all attached parts have been removed, and the engine and all accessories going into it have only been sitting for 6 weeks and are proven to be good.

So, I have an engineless chassis that has been sitting. What should I check? Anything else to replace/watch out for? None of the brakes are frozen up, and the gas tank needs to be drained. That's all we can say for sure.

Tips?

I recently brought back a car from the dead (6 years), and the only things not directly attached to the engine I had to do were drain the gas tank, and replace the battery.

most of what I did was fluids/filters/adjustments on the engine itself.

And it runs great. :)

The one little trick you should do is to remove all of your fuses and spray the panel with WD40 or electromotive spray. You will never know the miseries you are avoiding. I recently forgot and spent a day and a half trying to track downa headlight that intermittently went dim, yet all the wires checked out OK. After replacing the entire circuit, it ended up being a corroded tip on the fuse.

I had good lucky with a K5 Blazer that sat for 9 years in one of my sheds. Only had 18K on a built motor and trans. The first time I opened the hood it was one big nest!(Rats or squirels?) After I cleaned that all out I taped up some electrical lines and spark plug wires that were chewed to the core, replaced some vaccum lines, change oil and filter, disconected fuel line (Hooked up line to funnel with fresh gas) and the biggie disconnected the heater power as I had it catch fire once before when a mouse built a nest in there next to a coil that heats up and glows red. It was a daily driver when that happened! Mice love duct work to live in. It was so packed I got 2or3 one gallon vaccum loads out of that system and still it dribbles regularly for my friend who I sold it to to buy my first subie. Residuals or did some of the mice go with the sale?:rolleyes:

Any way it never hurts to see if some unwanted vermin have made a home in there while it has been setting for so long. For what its worth! Stumpy