Ultimate Subaru Message Board

odometer and parking light sensors

My '99 Outback Wagon seems to have some sensor issues with the speedometer and the parking lights. The control head for the speedometer only works half of the time and when it does it is about 2-3 mph off. Hopefully I'll get lucky and only have to replace something as simple as the sensors, but finding a decent one might be difficult. Also, when I turn everything off the parking lights remain lit so I have been taking out the fuse every time I park.

Anyone with any knowledge on the subject PLEASE let me know

My '99 Outback Wagon seems to have some sensor issues with the speedometer and the parking lights. The control head for the speedometer only works half of the time and when it does it is about 2-3 mph off. Hopefully I'll get lucky and only have to replace something as simple as the sensors, but finding a decent one might be difficult. Also, when I turn everything off the parking lights remain lit so I have been taking out the fuse every time I park.

Anyone with any knowledge on the subject PLEASE let me know

Parking lights - probably the switch on top of the steering column. MANY people do not know what it's for, and it gets pushed accidently when cleaning/whatever.

I'm not clear on what your other complaint is. have you put on different sized tires? That will ceretainly affect the speedometer's reading. Or do you have an intermittent ground wire or something? I dunno

Thanks for the tip with the parking lights switch. The speedometer is still very tempermental and only works half of the time. I did not put on new tires or anything but I am new to Subarus and am not sure where the cable connects to the transmission. It is a 2.5 liter manual tranny. Also, does anyone know where to get a good maintenance manual for the 95-99 Legacy? Let me know Please.

• 2 weeks later...

Carl is correct in regards to the parking lights, check the switch on to top of the steering columm. As for the other problem, according to other threads, it seems that you have a bad speedometer head. Apparently it was a common problem in the 1999 subarus. There is one test you can do: if the problem does not affect the cruise control them most likely you have a bad speedometer head, if it does, the problem is the speed sensor located in the transmission. I have the same problem and I found this information here in the forum from 2002. Do a search and you will find that this is a common problem. Subaru should recall the speedometer head

Yeah, and they should recall the fuel filler necks on some '95-'97 models, and the knock sensors, and the ... uhh... this would be easier if we were discussing less well-built cars.

Yes, they could recall all the components that, due to design flaws, need replacement every 10y or 100kmi, but the fact is, they only issue a three year, 36kmi warranty. If the car falls apart at precisely that age, it's not their problem.

Anyway, cut FHI some slack. These cars are solid.

Also, buy my speedo head. Does $10+shipping sound fair?

Thanks for the tip with the parking lights switch. The speedometer is still very tempermental and only works half of the time. I did not put on new tires or anything but I am new to Subarus and am not sure where the cable connects to the transmission. It is a 2.5 liter manual tranny. Also, does anyone know where to get a good maintenance manual for the 95-99 Legacy? Let me know Please.

Spedometer is electronic, it does not have a cable. The problem is either the VSS having a dirty connnection, the board behind the spedo head, or the head itself. Its not a complicated repair, just al ot of work to get to it.

nipper