Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Valve cover gasket

I've never posted any threads before. I hope I'm in the right spot.

I have a question about replacing a valve cover gaskets on EA82 for 1992 Loyale FWD.

Can I do it without removing engine and timing belt?

Question No. 2. (if I can do it without removing engine) Do I need to use RTV sealant on rubber gaskets?

Question No. 3 (if I need to use RTV sealant) which one to use?

And one more question. Do I need to use RTV sealant for the oil pan gasket?

A little bit information about a car. I have 150 000 miles on it. When it was under warranty (what a nice time it was!) after the routine check up the dealer stated: “Oil leak…” Probably that was the same problem because I can see some gray stuff sticking out of the seams.

You don't need sealant on the valve cover gasket. You'll see what I mean when you compare the old gasket to a new one. Also no need to remove the engine to replace the gasket. The new gaskets are soft rubber and seal well without sealer. And yes you can use RTV on the pan gasket, although I don't use it. I use a gasket sealer I get from Bombardier (Evinrude). Helps to keep the gasket soft.

You don't need sealant on the valve cover gasket. You'll see what I mean when you compare the old gasket to a new one. Also no need to remove the engine to replace the gasket. The new gaskets are soft rubber and seal well without sealer. And yes you can use RTV on the pan gasket, although I don't use it. I use a gasket sealer I get from Bombardier (Evinrude). Helps to keep the gasket soft.

Thank you!

I'll give it a try.