Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to use as spare with Pugs?

I will soon (hopefully) have a set of 14" alloys and I am trying to think ahead about a spare. The guy I am buying the set off doesn't have a spare and the only other place I could buy 1 wheel wants $50. Would it be safe to use a regular Subaru wheel as a spare in either the back left or right?

Using the regular Subaru 13" would be plenty fine to get you home or to a tire shop. It's better then the factory donuts that they give you. I wouldn't recommend driving fast down the freeway on the smaller wheel. But again it would be fine to get you home and thats what is important.

Thanks all, I'll just keep an old Subie wheel kicker around in my wagon. So if I were to get a flat on one of the front tires just swap a Pug from the back so I have same wheels up front and then a Subie wheel in back?

yup exactly, actually, my spare tire, is about a inch and a half smaller than my regular tires..but with my 28's i guess it would be better than the 185's that was my old spare..eye-why, you dont have a roof rack do you? if you did, you could mount a spare up there..but...any way, you should be fine, as already stated just dont go fast and no 4wd!

Thanks all, I'll just keep an old Subie wheel kicker around in my wagon. So if I were to get a flat on one of the front tires just swap a Pug from the back so I have same wheels up front and then a Subie wheel in back?

hopefully you wont get a flat while wheeling and need to use your four wheel drive to get out of someplace.....

It might be worth getting the right size wheel and five of the same tire cause you can throw it into the rotation and make the tires last all the longer (course looks might matter) you should have the right size wheel and tire as a spare in case you get stuck someplace out there in main e aK land this winter.

I've been pushing my luck....as I've only been carrying a stock wheel as my spare, I have an extra wheel, but just haven't gone and had a full-size tire put on it...

anyway, it's the opposite for me, if I get a flat, I need to put the spare on the front, because I have an LSD in the back, those two need to be the same size, it's a bit harder on the front diff, but it'll bet me home in a pinch...

one of these days, I'll go and get a tire put on it