Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Official Camber Plate Thread

WJM

Yes, you too can install camber/caster plates into your A10/A11 chassis Leone/Loyale/DL/GL/GL-10/RX/XT/XT6!

These particular plates are either ex-JIC of Tein coilover plates....application is either GCx, GMx, GHx Imprezas, or any Gen 2 Legacy.

Modifications nessisary:

You will need to wide'n each bolt hole for the plate/strut top approx 2MM each. Once that is done, any EJ plate/strut top will fit perfectly, even your previous plate/strut top.

After that...you will need to fit the plate to make sure you widened the holes correctly/enough.

Once that is done...affix the plate to your strut properly. Different plates require different hardware.

For example...my previous plates were the old MRT plates with poly bushing. They were a DIRECT bolt on type intended for use with stock style springs on any Legacy/Impreza...so it was a direct swap, nothing special.

These plates require extra hardware that normally come with them when purchased, but they didnt...so, a spacer, shanked lug nut, some wideneding of the coilover spring top, and it was perfect.

Done!

Pics ofcourse....

Dscf4792.jpg

Dscf4793.jpg

Dscf4794.jpg

Dscf4795.jpg

Dscf4796.jpg

New configuration:

Dscf4812.jpg

Dscf4813.jpg

Dscf4814.jpg

Dscf4816.jpg

So? Its the spring/dampening rates that makes the ride hard. These make it more PRECISE.
well put! Exactly correct in my opinion. I have camber plates on my GTI. It made the front so much tighter throught the turns. Looks like a nice pillow ball spherical bearing on top! Are there spherical bearings on the spring top hat, too?

Wow... you added a lot more negative caster than negative camber with the adjustments you have now.

Sidebar: Do you have a radiator for that air/water intercooler?

well put! Exactly correct in my opinion. I have camber plates on my GTI. It made the front so much tighter throught the turns. Looks like a nice pillow ball spherical bearing on top! Are there spherical bearings on the spring top hat, too?

Wow... you added a lot more negative caster than negative camber with the adjustments you have now.

Sidebar: Do you have a radiator for that air/water intercooler?

The bearing is only on the plate where it is needed.

Thats POSITIVE caster...not negative. Negative would be pushing the strut forward. Negative caster is bad.

Of course I do. It measures ~20" wide, ~14" tall and 1/2" thick.

GCx, GMx, GHx Imprezas, or any Gen 2 Legacy.

Maybe we should clarify what these actually are for the old gen guys (like myself) that don't know all of the codes. It will probably be good to include here so it saves searching both here, at NASIOC, legacycentral.org, etc.

I believe the body codes are different for both body style (sedan, wagon, etc) and year ranges (90-94, 95-98, etc). That information for each of those codes will probably help a lot. ;)

Other than that this is great, there are always lots of q's on camber plates and a lot of the information was spread all over the place in your other posts.

SVX tops are way different IIRC...I think that if you redrilled the strut towers (legal in ST and SP IIRC) then you can fit the Legacy-Impreza plates like they are on an Leg or Imp....OR...you can redrill the plates for the stock location mounting holes....

SVX tops are way different IIRC...I think that if you redrilled the strut towers (legal in ST and SP IIRC) then you can fit the Legacy-Impreza plates like they are on an Leg or Imp....OR...you can redrill the plates for the stock location mounting holes....

Yeah, I was fairly sure we'd have to redrill. We're not a streeter. Straight E Prepared

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This positive camber is killing me around the corners on my stock 88 GL Wagon. Since I plan to lift it, has anyone done camber plates on their lifted EA82? I am sure that the camber plate will be at the bottom of the spacers for the struts. Hmmm.....

Best price I have found for camber plates/pillow ball mounts is $150 new. :clap:The are the Tein brand from http://www.andysautosport.com/product/suspension/pillow_ball_mounts

• 2 years later...

Sorry for bringing back such an old post!

Can you run camber plates like this with the stock strut/spring? Or do you have to go with coilovers (or a different strut) with a smaller diameter spring?

Was mainly wondering if there is enough room in the strut tower with the stock diameter spring to move the strut for as much negative camber as WJM achieved?

Thanks!

Would you not accomplish the very same thing with a piece of plate and a simple flange bearing?

Well, ok, maybe accomplish not emptying your wallet.

Oh:

if there is enough room in the strut tower with the stock diameter spring to move the strut

In my strut tower, with the stock strut/spring, there is about a finger width around back (3/4"), so if more is desired I would assume that at least a spring of smaller diameter would be required. There is more room fore and aft, but to offset a major negative camber condition you will have to shrink the springs.