Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber Emissions

Hello,

The Hitachi Carburetor in my '84 wagon just suffered a broken choke. I am trying to decide between replacing it with a new Hitachi unit or using this opportunity to take the plunge into a Weber conversion. I am all for the Weber with the one caveat that I have to pass both emissions and safety inspection here in Austin, TX. There will be a visual safety inspection as well as a Two Speed Idle test every year, so I am not sure if it will be legal for me to disconnect and cap off all of the emissions tubes if I convert to a Weber.

If anyone else has passed these sorts of emissions tests with a Weber please relate your experience and any advice regarding the feasability of passing emissions with a Weber.

Thanks!

So what am I looking at modification wise in my '84 GL? I am thinking of buying the Weber K730 kit. Will my spare tire still fit under that hood with that air filter? Will I need to modify my distributor? Still on the fence until I have a better idea what all is involved versus just getting a new Hitachi.

Any help is appreciated.