Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transfercase Options

Scott in Bellingham

Ok Ive done a little research looks like the Nissan transfercase slips right in with the same franges , I noticed one guy used a Suzuki samauri transfercase , Im doing a transfercase conversion on another wagon EA82 I have, wondering what are all the options , If I go with the Sammi case which I already have whats involved with hookin that up? any adverse problems with that choice? is there any other options maybe a older jeep t-case or ? trying to do it with a 6" lift , may end up with 8" lift, the nissan case seems a little bulky compared to the sammi case , thanks

Subadoom Is the one that I KNOW did this with a Sammy 'case and if I remember right the Dshaft flanges wer all the same. If that is the case then U need the jack shaft from a Nissan P/U , the slip yolk maches the Subaru trans, and flange maces the 'case. I will be seing him today and ask about it for ya and post up when I get home from work. I think the Sammy 'case is a MUCH better choise than the Nissan just for size alone, plus U can get lowere gears for it as well. Just remember, the 'case was made to sit flat in the Sammy and U will be standing it up for the Roo, so there may be some oiling issues to atend to.

The nissan case is not that big, and also runs upright (better for sube) instead of angled like the sammy. However the sammy case has better ratios including a high range reduction that will make your highway gearing like stock with big tires. To run the sammy case upright you may have to rework the tcase shifters and the mounts might be funny too, I dont really know.

The nissan and samurai driveshafts use the same ujoints, but different size flanges. you can make hybrid driveshafts with nissan/subaru flanges on the differential and transmission ends, and suzuki tcase flanges to bolt up to the tcase. Its just mixing and matching some parts.

If you can find a suzuki LJ80 t-case (rare) I think that would be the ultimate. Its got 3.something:1 low range, a nice high range reduction, and its upright. Strong enough too. I will be either running a nissan or an lj80 tcase when I get around to redoing my subaru to get rid of the lada case which sucks.

There are all kinds of options in hte aftermarket. Advance Adapters offers a complete line of gear boxes. Some of their t-cases are adjustable in that they can be installed flat, vertical or at an angle. Heck, they offer single-speed, 2-speed and 3-speed transfer cases and are even working on a 4-speed. How cool is that??? Anyway, you can order them with whatever slip yokes and flanges you want. Downside is that they will be expensive. But its an option.

What I did for the sami case was use these parts from the samurai;

1- complete shaft minus the transmission slip joint and two bearing caps/needle bearings

and then just use the subaru slip joint with 2 subaru caps/needle bearings, assembled onto the samurai cross link.

I will try and get pictures up later tonight.

Matt

• 3 years later...

ok, so here is another one form the dead.

a couple of posts up^by threeeyedbandit there is a statement about utilizing the cups from a subie and putting them on a suzuki cross.

i will investigate this today.

cheers, brian

Edited by monstaru

so , the u-joints on an ea81 stock driveshaft at the tranny joint is a 1517 series u-joint.the u-joints on all of the suzuki stuff i have are 1518 series joints.

the caps from the 1517 joints fit the 1518 joints.no slop .so ,i will be able to utilize this configuration.

a subaru tranny yoke coupled to a suzuki t-case flange.then utilize the suzuki flanges at the t-case for front and rear drivelines,and the diff yokes at the ends.i do not have pics yet as i am not to the point of building the drivelines.ok , i lied..:)

IMG_2563.jpg

more pics.....

but it will work out alot easier now.no adapters or anything of that sort.cheers, brian

Edited by monstaru

hmmmm. this info would've been good prior to me taking my drivelines in the get lengthened/made. my trans to t-case shaft is 16.25" cap to cap. soob slip on one end, sammy flange on the other... but I only took in the yoke end of the soob shaft that was cut off....