Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loosening stubborn oil drain plug...

If you have a combination wrench, you can put the box end on the bolt. Then use another box wrench and slip it over the open end of the wrench. That will allow you to approximately double your torque on the wrench. Alternately, you can use a cheater bar. It's just a length of pipe that will slip over your wrench handle and allow you to apply more leverage. I have several different lengths. It works best if your wrenches have a good warranty.;)

Vise grips and a hammer. With any luck, it won't do as much damage as a 12 pt combination wrench slipping on the hex of the plug.

To prevent this, change the crush washer. They last for about 3 oil changes before they get too flat to seal, and then the torque requirements on the plug get so high that it becomes way too much work to remove.

Whatever you do to get it out, let us know. The suspense is killing me!:lol:

Haha, got it out. But not by any of the ways mentioned above. Maybe a combination? :D

I tried spraying some WD-40 on it and waiting for a bit. Got back under and pulled/pushed away... no luck. I even tried tapping the wrench with a hammer to hopefully gain some slack... still nothing.

I was about to give up but decided to try using my 12" socket wrench and pull while on two feet from in front of the car. I swear I was about to pull the car off the jackstands and just like that the plug came loose.

Had to go out and buy a set of oil filter pliers to pull out the filter, but that's the easy part. I want a beer now. :drunk:

Thanks again for all the suggestions!