Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How big is the gas tank?

It's 15.9 according to specs, but I always worry that the true capacity is actually less. My fuel indicator comes on after 11-12 gallons in my Loyale, which would be early in my opinion. But I've never ran it down all the way (in any of my Subes) to be certain.

If anyone knows for certain please share. Especially any info on calibrating that stupid fuel warning light.

John

It's 15.9 according to specs, but I always worry that the true capacity is actually less. My fuel indicator comes on after 11-12 gallons in my Loyale, which would be early in my opinion. But I've never ran it down all the way (in any of my Subes) to be certain.

If anyone knows for certain please share. Especially any info on calibrating that stupid fuel warning light.

John

ha, i thought i was the only one with this... if i wait till the light comes on and drive, oh say a couple miles to fill it up, it only takes like 12 gallons or so..

ha, i thought i was the only one with this... if i wait till the light comes on and drive, oh say a couple miles to fill it up, it only takes like 12 gallons or so..

Kind of annoying. You expect precision in these cars, and a 60-80 mile cushion is way too loose IMO.

If it were my call, I'd have the light come on at "one gallon" of fuel. Then you'd know whether you have 15, 20 or 25 miles to deal with. Wouldn't be a problem unless you were way out in the "stix"....

John

With both my EA82s (3-door and wagon) the light comes on when there are 2+ gallons left. At one time or another I've put over 15 gallons in both of them and I often drive 400-450 miles without filling up. According to the original owner's manuals I have for both of them, the fuel tanks are 15.9.

My '82 hatchback tanks are only about 12 gal.

• 1 month later...