Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adjustable rear struts?

My subie is in the shop for the persistent loud clunk in the right rear when it goes over bumps. At first the swing arm was suspected, but now they are looking at the struts. Apparently these are adjustable? How hard are they to adjust and how do you do it? I understand they aren't easy to find. What should I expect to pay to get new rear struts?

This is for a 1986 GL wagon.

Thanks.

I assume you're talking about the externally adjustable ones, not the air adjust garbage. They're not hard to adjust, you just take the weight off the strut and turn it to the desired height. I've never had to replace mine, so I'm not sure how much they are. I don't really adjust mine, so I think if I did have to replace them I'd go with the non-adjustable struts.

I assume you're talking about the externally adjustable ones, not the air adjust garbage. They're not hard to adjust, you just take the weight off the strut and turn it to the desired height. I've never had to replace mine, so I'm not sure how much they are. I don't really adjust mine, so I think if I did have to replace them I'd go with the non-adjustable struts.

Yeah, at first they thought they were air and $350 a piece, but now they say they are the externally adjustable ones. I should have said I'm somewhat of a newbie (though I did rebuild my resister block :)), do you turn them from the top or the bottom?

You need a coil spring compressor tool to adjust the shocks. They adjust from the bottom, with 3 different settings. I'm not sure if the strut is replaceable.
You really dont need that tool i jacked the rear up and got a big pair of pump plyers (channel loocks) and turned them. If you dont have big plyers (like 18") then jack up rear remove top mount bolts from body and then remove top nut on shock and turn them by hand (If they are not to rusty that is) They are replaceable but hard to find and exspensive! If you do want the tool just go to a motorcycle shop and ask them if they have it should be cheap just flat piece of metal shaped to hook in to adjustment spot to turn it.

I suggested the correct way to do the job. The chance that someone would have a pair of Channel Locks big enough to turn the bottom is the same as that person having spring compressor tools. You can rent the spring comp at most Parts Stores and it makes the job alot easier. And you dont mar up the bottom of the shocks doing it.

Thanks guys. My shop found them in New Jersey and quoted me $607 installed up here in Anchorage. I need to find the time to do some of this myself, but that won't be happening anytime soon.
Is that for two or all four? sounds kinda like a high price to me but i do all my own work.How much for shocks alone with out install?