Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What trannies will work?

SvRex

My project was supposed to use an SVX 3.3L bolted to a 5 spd from a '95 FWD Impreza, which would have beeen mounted mid-engine driving the rear wheels. I knew I'd have a linkage problem, but then the trouble got worse.

The FWD tranny shift linkage hooks up to the end of the tailpiece (where the rear propeller shaft would go on an AWD car). By the time I manage anything to hook up to it, the shift linkage will be sticking WAY out of the back of the car.

I've got about 24" from the center line of the rear wheels to the rear bumper of the car. The FWD tranny with a linkage attached is something more like 30" long.

What other options do I have? Is there a shorter Subie tranny? How about an AWD tranny with the rear output blocked off? Will a Porsche tranny work? Other ideas?

I'm too far into this to quit, but this is a big setback.

I plan on it being fully streetable. I thought of the angled CV's, but I don't think it will be enough. I need a tranny that doesn't have a shift linkage sticking out of it's tail.

If I break open the tail of the tranny, can I convert it to have it's shift linkage top mount?

REX as far as I know the tranny's are gonna be the same fwd or awd in length give or take if you block the rear off. Did you consider going with a fwd auto tranny at all? I'm having trouble picturing the linkage you're speaking of on the 5 speed but would that give ya more room to play with. As for a porsche tranny yeah that can be made to work. You'd need an adaptor though. Do a search of the convertors out there.

i'm kinda seeing it now. the AWD trans have shift linkages on the side of the trans, but i believe they'd be too long.

you can run an AWD trans in FWD. for a manual AWD you'd have to lock the center differential (just pull the lever and leave it). and for an XT6 auto AWD you could keep the FWD circuit and leave that fuse in place. or you can lock the Duty solenoid C at all times and just have the rear output shaft spinning for nothing. not sure the long term effects on the solenoid...say 20,000 miles it might not like a 100% duty cycle, but may be fine. might be a waste of power to, don't know. i've personally done all of the above though with no issues. the advantage i guess would be that the AWD trans and probably the FWD trans that benebob mentioned (from an XT6) have the shifter linkage far up front on the side of the trans, relatively close to the engine. so if the linkage location is a serious issue the AWD or FWD XT6 trans may be an option, though i don't know their lengths. someone has to know this basic info though.

but i can't imagine the AWD trans being any shorter than the FWD trans, so if raw length is an issue then it may not be helpful at all.

you live in Americus Georgia. do you know chris (cletus) faircloth? i went to school with him in atlanta.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps a 901 transmission, the side shifter type from a Porsche 914? They've got really tall gears as the stock Type IV VW engine doesn't like to turn too many RPM. I've got a 2 liter Type IV in my 69 912 and a 901 transmission from a 70-71 911T. Simple, reliable and affordable while my original engine and transmission sit in a box!