Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought a 96 OBW. It has the switches for heated seats. During the test drive I didn't seem to notice if they heated up. (The light indicator light didn't go on.)

My question is: Did the switches come in all models regardless of if they had seats?? Or only with models equiped with the heated seats??

If you have switches I would assume you have heaters. I would check for blown fuses. I believe the heaters are tied into the cigar lighter? I also recall a couple of instances of wiring for the vanity mirror lights shorting out and causing the the heated seats to quit working.

It is possibile that the indicator lights are blown. how long of a test drive did u go on? press the button down for "high" setting, then give it a couple minutes, I had a hard time noticing that the seat was on, the first couple times, but it was on 'low' unknown to me.

My question is: Did the switches come in all models regardless of if they had seats?? Or only with models equiped with the heated seats??

Only models with the cold weather package have the switches. This also gives you heated side mirrors, and block heater. In 97 subaru also added heated windshield.

Like others have said, I would check the fuse first.

Only models with the cold weather package have the switches. This also gives you heated side mirrors, and block heater. In 97 subaru also added heated windshield.

Like others have said, I would check the fuse first.

Block Heater???

I have a block heater?

where's the plug?

Later,

Peter

I don't have the proper wiring diagrams to look at, so this is just a best guess.

If a fuse is blown for the switch lights, you'd notice other lights not being on.

The heaters are most probably turned on with a relay, becuase small switch contacts can't handle the amperage the heaters draw. It is possible the indicator lights are tied to the relay contacts as well, and won't light if the relay doesn't energize.