Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NH Snow, whoah! (56k Beware...)

Andyjo

So i headed out on this truck trail before the drive to Potsdam yesterday, it was pretty fun, i thought for sure i was going to blow all my tires in the ice.. but they held strong! :brow:

here's a few hundrew yards in..

104201.jpg

The first water crossing (This one was running, no ice troubles here)

104202.jpg

Just before the ice... some sally rump roast subaru flexing :brow:

104203.jpg

Forde' the river!

104204.jpg

After the running water i ran into some ice which i happened to break right through

104205.jpg

When i got stuck 1/2 way through (thick ice..)i poped the door to see how deep it was... well.. it's that high

104206.jpg

Threw it in reverce, and subi-plowed through the rest of the ice

104207.jpg

The only damage resulting from the ice....

104208.jpg

It was wicked fun, i think i covered somewhere around 1.5-2.5 miles, in about an hour, there was some nasty hill climbs that i didn't get shots of... because i didn't think i'd make it if i stopped :grin:

nice pix. I also played in the snow today, but I forgot my camera. Got high centered on a large dirt mound I had to go over. Very cartoonish balancing of the car with two wheel not touching. I had to come a long it down off and get a better run for it. Took like 4 tries to get over it. :(

man,i gotta get up some extra money for gas an head your way.

(sadly i have no money to spear though.) :banghead:

maybe after i move(dec 3rd)

subie94, that's just like.. 45 miles north of you, i can give you directions if you want. It's in Newbury/New London NH, about 5 minutes off of 89 (Exit 11)

The ice was super sketchy though.. it was about 1/2"-3/4" thick and i did ended up sliding sideways into some of the large chunks while i broke through it. I tried to strattle the side (as to only destroy one side of tires) but it was too slippery...You know it's thick ice when you can't move forward through it... so you've gotta back up and get a running start to break through :brow:

Where are you moving to? i'll be back in NH around... dec 16thish

still gonna be in manchester,crystal lake appts

nice area and cheaper rent.so it's 5mins from exit 11 off 89.

i take it,it's open to the public.i don't have to worry about police giving me a hard time or worse-(fined)?

you can give me directions,but i won't be able to go till i got money.

it sounds like it's easy to get to though.

providing your tires have tread on them,you should have no problem.

are you talking about stuff like this,right

104204.jpg

if it's your first time taking your subaru out on the trails,i'd take it slow at first.you gotta learn to swim before jumping into the deep-end of the (mud)pool

I have about a 1.5" lift, and gnarly dunlop snow tires....

you would most certenly be able to do it if you dont' care about the vehicle much.. :rolleyes: The only really sketchy part of my jurney was the ice, it was thick and nasty, i was very worried about slashing all my tires in that stuff.

subie94, there was water/ice up past the bottom of my doorline at one point.., i'm sure you can handle it, just watch out, because it's uber muddy under that ice.

I'll PM you the directions later tonight (i might even have a map for you too :brow: )

oh yeah... this trail wasn't really hard core off roading.. so most anyone's stock vehicle could make it through.. well. .maybe not an STi... i was scratching the rear end in the beginning a tiny bit. so clearance is a good thing to have

subie94, there was water/ice up past the bottom of my doorline at one point.., i'm sure you can handle it, just watch out, because it's uber muddy under that ice.

I'll PM you the directions later tonight (i might even have a map for you too :brow: )

i took a look at that area of 89 (exit 11 ?) and i saw lots of unpaved roads.plus there looked like a ski area near there along with what looked like a fire trail.

i used terra-server and was able to see both topo and aerial pics.

i take it,trail was public friendly? (open to public)

because it's uber muddy under that ice.

huh?!

i took a look at that area of 89 (exit 11 ?) and i saw lots of unpaved roads.plus there looked like a ski area near there along with what looked like a fire trail.

i used terra-server and was able to see both topo and aerial pics.

i take it,trail was public friendly? (open to public)

I had no troubles with the authorities i didnt' see any public property signs either... it shows up on topo use as a real road... or something like that, the way i found it, was that i was looking for a short cut to my friends house, so i threw it in topo usa, and it told me to go that way.... at this time i was driving the 77 scottsdale, and romped through there, although there was a 1.5ft diameter tree in the middle of the trail then.. not anymore...

as for the ski area, Mt. Sunapee is pretty cool, i grew up skiing there, it's small, but nice. Lots of dirt roads that you can get some serious speed on :brow:

If you want to get your subi airborn i could tell you where.. but you might not want to due to the lack of help in the area (blowing out tires/suspension etc..)

By muddy under the ice i mean, if you get stopped by the ice (breaking through it) then there's a good chance you'll get bogged down in the mud under it. i spun around a little bit before i got traction in reverce to try again at the ice =P

that stuff looks sooo dang fun but i have an AUTO 97'obw and when i got stuck in a mud trench my rear tires wouldent spin. it acted like it was a complete fwd car and only the front ones spun. I was on a nose dived angle though.....would my outback switch into 50/50 on a level surface?

that stuff looks sooo dang fun but i have an AUTO 97'obw and when i got stuck in a mud trench my rear tires wouldent spin. it acted like it was a complete fwd car and only the front ones spun. I was on a nose dived angle though.....would my outback switch into 50/50 on a level surface?

You can't rely on AWD like you would a big locked 4x4. Just focus on keeping your momentum through the tough stuff, and don't bite off more than you can chew. You'll figure out what you can and can't do with a little bit of practice.

You can't rely on AWD like you would a big locked 4x4. Just focus on keeping your momentum through the tough stuff, and don't bite off more than you can chew. You'll figure out what you can and can't do with a little bit of practice.

an always try to pick the best line.no getting high centered

And much more! If the snow is light, then you generally can't see out the front of the car before you start getting stuck. A skidplate to protect the oil pan would be a very good idea though.

shuuuuuuuuut uuuuup are you serious? on stock tires??? i have auto though:-\ and i got stuck in a mud trench once on only my front tires spun even in reverse.. so if im on a pretty much flat surface the AWD should haull asss?

shuuuuuuuuut uuuuup are you serious? on stock tires??? i have auto though:-\ and i got stuck in a mud trench once on only my front tires spun even in reverse.. so if im on a pretty much flat surface the AWD should haull asss?

yes kelly is serious, i mean he lives in alaska. dude, roo's kick in the snow..awd isnt so bad in snow it likes flat surfaces a lot better

i've had my 92 going through snow that was above the bottom section of the door.went through it without a problem.snow was coming up over my hood.

i even stop at one point to see how deep it was,after checking(by opening door an pushing snow aside with door)put her back in first an was able to take right off(little tire spin)

:banana: moral of this story "never under-estimate the ability of your soobie-roo" :banana: