Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber Owners

What type of air filter is this? It looks like the old VW dual carb setup filters. Do they have these at local auto parts shops or do I have to go to a speed shop? What would I reference as far as vehicle type. I took mine to napa and they looked at me like I had bolts growin' outta my neck.

Thanks for the info McBrat. Is there a difference in heights other than clearance issues? Also, I see that those are reusable. I would uess that means mine is as well. What would be the best way to clean htese filters...water? I apologize if these are simple questions but I never had to deal with these. Thanks for any advice.

Without thermostatically-controlled air (ie a carb air preheat hose), are these conversions prone to carb icing?

I know with the progressive Holley/Weber/Autolite conversions I've dealt with on the air-cooled VWs, that even with the exhaust heat riser passage left connected, here in northern Washington in cold, foggy weather they'd still ice up and put you by the side of the road, unless you rigged up some warm air feed to the air intake.

The Soobs (at least the EA82) have coolant flowing under the SPFI throttle body base, but is that enough to prevent carb venturi icing in cold wet weather? Or is someone fabbing air filter housings with a snorkel?

I've found that shops selling parts for Volkswagens are a good source for filters. Here in Seattle, Bow Wow sells EMPI brand filters for under $15 and they are identicle to K&N.

For those wishing to adsnorkle-ize the Weber, there is now an affordble adapter available from JAM Engineering (first item this page)

http://www.jameng.com/products/index.phtml?section=13 They also have adapters to fit OEM aircleaners.