Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problem with my '06 Legacy. Please help!

Hi everyone. I am new here. I just bought a 2006 Legacy sedan. This is the first new car I have ever bought and its quite the upgrade from my old '95 Legacy wagon.

I am having a problem with it. First off, it is a standard. Occasionally when I back out of a parking spot, when I push the clutch in to shift into first, the RPMs will race. I shift the car into first and let it up to move forward, and then the care accelerates by itself! The RPMs go up to 3,000 sometimes 3,500 RPMs. The only way to slow the acceleration is to put the car into neutral and wait for it to slow down (or push the brake pedal). Pushing the clutch in does nothing, it continues to accelerate.

Also, whenever I push the clutch in during regular driving (shifting gears, turning, etc.) the rpm will "pulse" up and down. It is very strange and I know this is not supposed to happen.

I took it back to the dealership and they say nothing is wrong with the car but I know this is not right. Any ideas?

Regards,

Jason

Welcome to the Board. Your dealer is wrong; either you're leaving your foot on the accelerator pedal when shifting or the return springs on the throttle body aren't doing their job; somehow the symptoms you describe are indicative of a major problem with the throttle control. It's also a significant safety issue. Go back to the dealer and insist that one of the mechanics drive the car with you and duplicate the problem. If they can't duplicate the problem, insist on getting your complaint in writing so you and they have a written record since this will become a warranty issue. In case it becomes a liability issue (heaven forbid) and you have an accident, you really need some proof that you tried to get this fixed.

Hi everyone. I am new here. I just bought a 2006 Legacy sedan. This is the first new car I have ever bought and its quite the upgrade from my old '95 Legacy wagon.

I am having a problem with it. First off, it is a standard. Occasionally when I back out of a parking spot, when I push the clutch in to shift into first, the RPMs will race. I shift the car into first and let it up to move forward, and then the care accelerates by itself! The RPMs go up to 3,000 sometimes 3,500 RPMs. The only way to slow the acceleration is to put the car into neutral and wait for it to slow down (or push the brake pedal). Pushing the clutch in does nothing, it continues to accelerate.

Also, whenever I push the clutch in during regular driving (shifting gears, turning, etc.) the rpm will "pulse" up and down. It is very strange and I know this is not supposed to happen.

I took it back to the dealership and they say nothing is wrong with the car but I know this is not right. Any ideas?

Regards,

Jason

Your dealer is wrong; either you're leaving your foot on the accelerator pedal when shifting or the return springs on the throttle body aren't doing their job. Go back to the dealer and insist that one of the mechanics drive the car with you and duplicate the problem.

Thanks for the response. I am definitely not leaving my foot on the accelerator. In first gear the car will sometimes accelerate by itself. Also, the mechanic did duplicate the problem when they were checking it out. He stated in his report that it only happens when the clutch it released slowly. This, in my opinion isn't right because "slowly" is very subjective. Also, it the rpms surge and pulse, as if breathing, everytime the clutch is in. He states its just the way the clutch works and its not adjustable.

This seems wrong and unsafe. I almost ran my department manager over the other day because I couldn't keep the car at a parking lot speed!

Jason

Sounds like the accel cable is misrouted or kinking against something or maybe one of the nuts on the cruise or accel cable is not tight, or the rubber tip on the accel cable is floating around on the cable itself and not stuck to its housing. Look REALLY closely at the area where the cables go to the throttle body to be sure.

I have fixed 2 cars that had the engine R&R'd on where the little rubber thing got lodged down in the accel cable bracket so you would step on the gas and the throttle would stick there, let off, stays there, hit gas again the rubber would dislodge...repeat.

Uh, guys, you are behind on the technology with the new Legacies and Outbacks.

Starting with 2005, there is no throttle cable. The accelerator is now "fly by wire". What this means is that on the accelerator pedal is a potentiometer (think of it as a dimmer switch) that tells a servo motor to open and close the throttle. It is wired through the ECU. It is also controlled by the cruise control system as well.

I don't know how exactly it works by returning the throttle back to closed. Meaning, if it has a spring that returns it closed, or if it use the servomotor to return it closed. My 2004 Outback uses a servo motor as part of the cruise control system, and there is a clutch on the motor that disengages when the cruise is either turned off or cancelled. I don't know if they used the same design as the cruise control servo for the throttle servo.

My 05 Impreza does the same thing! Usually only when it's cold first thing in the morning. I've always driven manual trannies, so I know it's not me. That whole "drive by wire" thing makes me nervous. I'll bring this up to the dealer when I get my next oil change. I thought it was weird, but since it doesn't happen all the time with my car I figured I could just deal with it. Bah, humbug!

That brings the problem to one of "stiction" of the throttle mech when cold. Perhaps the mech is lubricated with grease that has become contaminated, or is too thick/gummy? Still just guessing until I see it or more detailed info is given on that area.

Ask the mechanic to take you out in another one off the lot that you pick, then when it doesnt behave the same, get a loaner and leave them your car.

That might be a little over simplified.

Assuming you have checked for any obstrucions around the pedal, and for the return of the pedal itself.