Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yay!!! Got my safari Rack!! :)

1st of all... a great big "THANK YOU TONY! YOU KICK rump roast!" is in order here. I'm still at work, but just got the call from my mother saying "Fedex just stopped by and dropped off your package is HUGE!"

I'll be able to pick it up tonight and get the 1st few coats of primer on the rack. then i'll prepare it for mounting! :)

Should have pix shortly thereafter..

-Brian

Well, it wouldn't be too bad right now caus I got a deal going @ my wifes work ( she gets fed ex for 50% off of what others pay) Junkie's rack only cost $30 to ship 2nd day air from OR to CA.

But I have to say that due to size problems with shiping Junkie's, and the fact that UPS people lied to me, all roof racks that are going to be shiped in the future will be modular. That is to say that they will need to be bolted together ( not much to it ) when U get them.

The front end and the rear end of the rack will be all welded, and so will the sides, but they will need to be bolted together with the floor x-bars when U get it.;)

Tony, i was looking at your design and was thinking of another option instead of bolting together. You said UPS wouldnt ship it cause it was 3" too long right? What if you made the spare tire extension removable... then that could be removed to save more than 3" of length, but be bolted on when its assembled. I would think the racks would be stronger that way instead of having it split in the center.

Regardless, im glad I got the 1st TWB Fabrications 1 piece Subaru Safari Rack!!! I kinda feel like Adam having the original Steelydel brushguard :)

-Brian

Thanks, but it's cool! They will bolt together @ each end, and will be VERY strong! Oh, by the way, pick up a wire brush, and a small bottle of asitone if U dont have them allready. Will make the paint stick MUCH better. U will see what I mean when U see the rack up close.;)

Yeah, will steel wool work? Thats been my wire-brush replacement since i bought a large bag of it for $2 :)

I saw the pix and was planning on cleaning up the rack before painting. I also want to get that liquid rubber you can get to coat tools and stuff, and coat the gutter mounts in it so it doesnt scratch my car up (like i really care anyway!).

Im still all giddy... I CANT WAIT!

Only 4 more hours until i get off work.

-Brian

It's not the lenght of the package, it's the total girth that gets you. Wrap a tape measurer around the width of it, then around the lenght of it. Add these two together, and you get your total girth. Just went thru this myself sending out a box to get the bed trim sent back to me in. The guy I bought the '82 from, found the entire trim for the bed, and wanted to know if I wanted it. Had to think on that for a milli-second. Just thought I'd throw that package measurement on here for future use.......

Got home and unwrapped the rack. Beautiful box fabrication Tony!! :)

Thats alot of rack to clean. Im probably 3/4 finished with just cleaning it. I did, however, get some pictures to share!!

Here's a picture of the light tabs and the tab for the CB Antenna:

rack_003.sized.jpg

And here's a picture of it partially loaded, with plenty of room for a spare:

rack_004.sized.jpg

Should I prime it before I put the bedliner on it? Or would it be better to use the bedliner on the bare metal of the rack?

-Brian

Originally posted by soobme

Well, it wouldn't be too bad right now caus I got a deal going @ my wifes work ( she gets fed ex for 50% off of what others pay) Junkie's rack only cost $30 to ship 2nd day air from OR to CA. But I have to say that due to size problems with shiping Junkie's, and the fact that UPS people lied to me, all roof racks that are going to be shiped in the future will be modular. That is to say that they will need to be bolted together ( not much to it ) when U get them.

The front end and the rear end of the rack will be all welded, and so will the sides, but they will need to be bolted together with the floor x-bars when U get it.;)

Hmmm where from in Oregon? My wagon could use a basket on the roof once it becomes and off roader in 50K or so :D

He he, duh, I didnt notice it came from Tony due to... :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

If it's an EA81 W/ stock rack: U have holes in the roof already, and I can make the new rack bolt on in the same place with a better seal than the stock one.

If it's an EA82 like mine it will bolt onto the stock mounting rails.

I can do it ANY way U want it, but those are the best options.;)

SOLD!

I have the old style, at least that is what Brian says, non adjustable. But it is certainly stock. This sounds great.

BTW: 1984 Subaru GL Wagon, the PKDavis rig...EX PKDavis that is...:burnout:

When Brian cruises up there I will too.

D

Not too sure about the non-adjustable rack Tony. Its like the rack that is on that 2WD Wagon you have. Also, the non-adjustable rack doesnt have any threaded inserts like Tony's stock rack has. My sube has no rack at all, so it works perfectly :) And the gutter mounts that tony fabb'ed are perfect, and look great.

-Brian