Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale...... lockers?

Hey i got a 92 Loyale 4WD and when the thing is in 4WD it feels locked up just as my trucks do but i read of people putting them in so whats the deal? i dont know much about my wagon... i know it kicks rump roast in the snow and mud and acts like its locked! im gettin ready to lift it 8" and all so i want to know about the lockers and all and what stuff i can bolt in to make it even better offroad!

Hey i got a 92 Loyale 4WD and when the thing is in 4WD it feels locked up just as my trucks do but i read of people putting them in so whats the deal? i dont know much about my wagon... i know it kicks rump roast in the snow and mud and acts like its locked! im gettin ready to lift it 8" and all so i want to know about the lockers and all and what stuff i can bolt in to make it even better offroad!

When talking about most part-time 4wd systems, you have either locking or automatic hubs. Locking hubs require you to get out and lock them to use the 4wd; otherwise, power is transmitted to the axle but the axle doesn't transmit power to the wheel. Automatic hubs are similar, but when forward force is applied to the axle, it causes the hub to engage.

On your 4wd Subaru, you have a CV shaft that directly drives each hub. There is no provision to unlock the hub from the shaft. When you are in 2wd, the rear wheels are still turning the axle shafts. So in effect, your hubs are always locked.

When talking about most part-time 4wd systems, you have either locking or automatic hubs. Locking hubs require you to get out and lock them to use the 4wd; otherwise, power is transmitted to the axle but the axle doesn't transmit power to the wheel. Automatic hubs are similar, but when forward force is applied to the axle, it causes the hub to engage.

On your 4wd Subaru, you have a CV shaft that directly drives each hub. There is no provision to unlock the hub from the shaft. When you are in 2wd, the rear wheels are still turning the axle shafts. So in effect, your hubs are always locked.

I read all of these people sayin they have a lincon locker in the rear open up front..... i dont know much about this ************.... im a classic car and drag racer none of this 4X4 subaru stuff

Lincoln locker refers to welding the ring gear so the diff locks. The name probably comes from the Lincoln welder (just a guess). You can do that, but you have to remove one of the rear axle shafts to run on the road.

Limited-slip differentials mostly came in turbo cars. The turbos have a 3.7:1 gear ratio, while the NA have a 3.9:1 ratio. You can swap out the ring gear to use a LSD from a turbo car in a non-turbo. They're marked on the tag on the rear of the differential.

Lincoln locker refers to welding the ring gear so the diff locks. The name probably comes from the Lincoln welder (just a guess). You can do that, but you have to remove one of the rear axle shafts to run on the road.

Limited-slip differentials mostly came in turbo cars. The turbos have a 3.7:1 gear ratio, while the NA have a 3.9:1 ratio. You can swap out the ring gear to use a LSD from a turbo car in a non-turbo. They're marked on the tag on the rear of the differential.

Thats was my thought on the lincoln locers was welding and that would be my guess as to where they got the name!

I know when i changed the gears in my truck i had to also do the front so they didnt bind up will i run in to the same with the suby?

I'm assuming yours is not a turbo. If you get a LSD from a turbo car, you have two choices:

1. Change the ring gear (look at the USMB tech articles to find out how)

2. Change to a turbo trans. Of course, you'd also have to change the clutch and the axle shafts, as those are also unique to the turbo.

If you try to run with different gear ratios, you'll bind up as soon as you put it in 4WD, unless you're on ice.

I'm assuming yours is not a turbo. If you get a LSD from a turbo car, you have two choices:

1. Change the ring gear (look at the USMB tech articles to find out how)

2. Change to a turbo trans. Of course, you'd also have to change the clutch and the axle shafts, as those are also unique to the turbo.

If you try to run with different gear ratios, you'll bind up as soon as you put it in 4WD, unless you're on ice.

Thats what i was thinkin... i think i will just go with a welded rear end and have to pull it in and out all the time.. i hear its not hard if you just jack it up a lil! i do like the idea oh having my 4WD on command but i guess ill have to lose some to win some!