Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Switching to electronic ignition

Hey guys..I have a quick question.

My recent "acquisition" of a 78 wagon has standard ignition. I want to switch to electronic ignition. I have all the parts from a 79 system, including the distributor. What wiring differences are there. I have managed to get myself somewhat confused in the process. Any ideas? I have both the Nippondenso system and the Hitachi system.

Todd

78-f1.jpg

BTW.. After a good bath and mud removal, this baby might not even need paint!!

It was so weird....I just was in the area of my favorite salvage yard and I was even dressed in business attire, when I decided to "just walk through" and see if they had anything of my "vintage".

Usually, now days...these go directly to the crusher, since there is little value in their parts. But I was hoping!

I first came upon a carcass of one that had been in the old section for years, but now was moved closed to the crusher. I said to myself," I'm wasting my time and also getting my shoes dirty". Then I rounded the corner and ther she sat!!! BEAUTIFUL!! No cars on top of her. Nothing even touching her!! I said "MY GOD....where did you come from?" I know there had to be divine intervention to have no cars on top. (This yard stacks everything!)

Well, since the owners know me well, I asked to buy her. Yes, they had the title and the deal was sealed. I headed back into the yard to protect my new baby. I locked the doors, rolled up the windows and had it towed to the protective cage, tillI could get it towed home.

I got it yesterday! She cleaned up and SHINED up like nearly new! It was apparently garaged for most of it's life. Interior is in super condition too. I do have to replace the engine, (no big deal though, I have 3 extras.) It looks to have thrown a rod. Big hole in case behind the pully. Most likely run without oil.

(78 DL, automatic, 2WD, 130K)

Todd

Todd, I have the Nippon in my Brat, now this is an 86 Brat I don't know if the el dist system you have is the same as you mention a 79 Nippon and Hitachi system.

I just took a look and here is the skinny

the dist. has two wires leading to it only.

One black and white which goes to the coil + also attached on this post is the igniton battery voltage feed (your 78 may have a ballast resistor?) This feeds ignition voltage to the coil and the dist. when the ignition sw. is in the run or crank to start pos.

The other is a yellow wire which goes to the negative side of the coil (my Brat is a GL so also on this post is the yellow wire from the dash, this wire feeds the signal to the tach)

Sorry I do not have a FSM for your car, Moosens may, you could email him directly.

Thanks Skip.

I have the orginal 79 electronic ignition system to put in, but I think I have a different wiring harness in the 78. I will be looking at at the diagram very close!

Oh. The yard is Little Johns. They are are Elliott Reader of 121 going into Ft Worth.

They have 1 79 wagon, (beat), a few EA 81's, quite a few 85-90s and a few XTs. Maybe an early Legacy or 2 too. They had a beautiful 84 BRAT, but they crushed it.

Todd

Hmm . thanks for the heads up on the EA82 stash.. I was just down there a couple of weeks ago. Must have missed that yard(it was a sunday. They were probably closed).. Is that on the same strip as dismantlers 2000?

I just noticed that Caboobaroo has "electronic ignition" listed as a mod on his 79 wagon.. you might want to shoot him an email and see if he has any info for you.