Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Some opinions please. Just purchased my second Outback. A 2006 wagon with 2.5 L. Very happy so far with 2500 miles on her. The stock tires seem OK all around but with this winter promising to be pretty bad here in northeast Ohio I'm thinking about dedicated Winter tires.

When did Subaru go to the 17" Wheels? I would like to buy an old set of wheels for winter use but i think the 17" Wheels are new to the 2006 year.

Is it or can it be damaging to your wheels to change tires on them twice a year?

One other thing. I've read all the threads on head gasket failure. Has this been fixed in the newest model years or is this still a real threat. I've noticed that this Subaru engine runs very hot. The guage is always half way so I know the engine is running within factory specifications, but it is the hotest running engine I've ever seen. Even the heat is so hot it feels like it could burn you if you left your hand in front of the vents. I wonder if this could be good for any engine.

Thanks

Overthehill

best bet is to get another set of wheels for your snow tires. then just swap out sets of wheels as needed. otherwise if it's done right you can swap your tires whenever you want without issue.

headgaskets were issues on the older motors....like 2001 and earlier, so you've got nothing to worry about. the newer head gasket designs have elminated the problem.

on the temperature range - different years/models have different visual ranges. in other words 180 degrees on one model might be 1/4 of the gauge and 1/2 up the gauge on another model. my XT6's (older subaru's) run about 1/4 - 1/3 up the gauge. they never get 1/2 way...if they do i know there's a problem. when i got a newer impreza outback sport i noticed immediately the gauge was always around 1/2 way as well and thought it might be something to look into . talked to a couple other OBS owners and they said that was normal. being a newer model i'd guess it's similar to what you're talking about and probably not an issue. i've also been in cars where the heat is hot enough that you really can't stand to keep your hand right on the vent...too hot, i don't believe that's necessarily an issue either.

Thanks Gary. The information on the head gasket obviously is music to my ears.

best bet is to get another set of wheels for your snow tires. then just swap out sets of wheels as needed. otherwise if it's done right you can swap your tires whenever you want without issue.

headgaskets were issues on the older motors....like 2001 and earlier, so you've got nothing to worry about. the newer head gasket designs have elminated the problem.

on the temperature range - different years/models have different visual ranges. in other words 180 degrees on one model might be 1/4 of the gauge and 1/2 up the gauge on another model. my XT6's (older subaru's) run about 1/4 - 1/3 up the gauge. they never get 1/2 way...if they do i know there's a problem. when i got a newer impreza outback sport i noticed immediately the gauge was always around 1/2 way as well and thought it might be something to look into . talked to a couple other OBS owners and they said that was normal. being a newer model i'd guess it's similar to what you're talking about and probably not an issue. i've also been in cars where the heat is hot enough that you really can't stand to keep your hand right on the vent...too hot, i don't believe that's necessarily an issue either.

• 1 month later...
Some opinions please. Just purchased my second Outback. A 2006 wagon with 2.5 L. Very happy so far with 2500 miles on her. The stock tires seem OK all around but with this winter promising to be pretty bad here in northeast Ohio I'm thinking about dedicated Winter tires.

When did Subaru go to the 17" Wheels? I would like to buy an old set of wheels for winter use but i think the 17" Wheels are new to the 2006 year.

Is it or can it be damaging to your wheels to change tires on them twice a year?

One other thing. I've read all the threads on head gasket failure. Has this been fixed in the newest model years or is this still a real threat. I've noticed that this Subaru engine runs very hot. The guage is always half way so I know the engine is running within factory specifications, but it is the hotest running engine I've ever seen. Even the heat is so hot it feels like it could burn you if you left your hand in front of the vents. I wonder if this could be good for any engine.

Thanks

Overthehill

Overthehill,

Did you ever make a decision on the wheels for your 2006? I was also considering another set for my 2006 OB and winter use. I was going to purchase 16 inch Subaru ones from a salvage yard and purchase tires that are very close to the same outside diameter as the stock tires. Have not done so yet, but maybe soon...

Thanks

Overthehill

It may be difficult to find 16" wheels that will clear the rotors. They may exist - just something to be aware of.

The non-turbo Outback has the 11.4/10.3" brakes that fit under any Subaru 16" wheel. Instead of looking at salvage yards I'd shop around in the classifieds. I've seen sets of 16" WRX wheels for $125 (without tires). Actually, I've seen sets for free in the local classifieds.

If you look in the Owner's Manual under snow tires you'll see recommendations for 16 or 17" rims.

The steel rims are hard to find. Most folks buy cheap alloys with snows mounted. Tirerack and tires.com have different styles available.

I mounted Nokian RSI snows on the stock rims. Then I purchased a set of 17"x7" BBS RK rims with BBS center caps from a SAAB dealer (for the SAABARU). They were $500 for four (they usually sell for around $250 each) with lugs, center caps and stems and weigh 18 lbs. On subaruoutback,.org or legacygt.com you will find many threads and pictures of different rims.

bbs1.jpg

If you look in the Owner's Manual under snow tires you'll see recommendations for 16 or 17" rims.

The steel rims are hard to find. Most folks buy cheap alloys with snows mounted. Tirerack and tires.com have different styles available.

I mounted Nokian RSI snows on the stock rims. Then I purchased a set of 17"x7" BBS RK rims with BBS center caps from a SAAB dealer (for the SAABARU). They were $500 for four (they usually sell for around $250 each) with lugs, center caps and stems and weigh 18 lbs. On subaruoutback,.org or legacygt.com you will find many threads and pictures of different rims.

bbs1.jpg

Ranger83,

Now that you have purchased the Nokian RSI's are you happy with them? Did you go with the stock size tire - P225/55R17 or the optional size - P215/55R17?

Ranger83,

Now that you have purchased the Nokian RSI's are you happy with them? Did you go with the stock size tire - P225/55R17 or the optional size - P215/55R17?

Yes, I'm happy with them. They don't come in P215/55x17 but these fit fine. We also have them on a Honda Accord V6.

We put Michelin X-Ice on our Quest minivan and the odealer offered 1. he'd love to be a dealer for Nokian and 2. he thought the RSI's last longer than the X-Ice. The X-Ice is a little quieter on the highway. We haven't worn any of then out: the Nokian does have about 1/32" more tread depth new.