Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brat failed smog (but not the second time)

For the first time in my history my car, an 87 Brat, failed to pass emissions. The only part that was bad was the CO at idle. I do have a minor leak in the system but does anyone know a good thing to look for before I do a minor tune-up and have it retested?

Brian:banghead:

Don't know much about the Emmisions Tests, but there's been quite afew posts here about them, here and on the old board. What I can remember of them is fresh plugs, clean air filter, and a fresh oil change helps alot. Also a good warmed up engine, as in a long drive right before the testing. There's other stuff too, just don't recall much of it.

Try doing a search with either smog or emmisions in the body of the post........

This morning I heard the same thing about emissions on car talk. I personally think those guys are worth their salt. The guy this morning had the same problem. always passed emissions, failed this time got some sh*@ in a can that didn't work so they told him point blank plugs. Easy cheap and worth a shot. I would go NGK and see what happens.

Originally posted by darthsoob

The only part that was bad was the CO at idle.

High CO = too rich, or incorrect ignition timing. Partially burned fuel.

High HC = misfire (way rich but you also get high CO with it), too lean so it misfires, or low compression in one or more cyls. Unburned fuel.

I wouldn't look at plugs, but dbl check the timing, air filter, PCV system (not just the valve, but the hoses: mine were plugged solid!). If the ignition is misfiring, you'll get high HC every time -- unburned fuel.

Mine failed too 1984 Brat but i got it to pass with flying colors

go to checker, autozone, or like store and buy this stuff it's called GUARANTED TO PASS OR G2P both are writen on the box. The box is blue. Follow the instructions on the box exactly, they will double your money back if you do not pass, Ive talk to 6 people who used it and swear by it here in COLO the limit on the co is 55 and mine was down to 23 after using G2P I swear this stuff is awsome and works

Hassey

Ed Rach turned me on to the guy across the street from the 6th ave S. emmissions testing station charges $30 or $35 (don't remember) guaranteed to pass. Works out of a van with a exhaust sniffer and got my Brat to pass. Mine ended up being a couple of small vac leaks Good Luck--Brian

Or else you could just register the car to me! (haha) in Whatcom County where there are no emissions tests! It would pass the non-inspection and I would have a brat. We both win!

Pardon me... I think I'm funny and I'm really not.

amanda

I suppose you are funny...in your version of reality. Just Kidding! As far as my brat is concerned, I fixed the exhaust leak, installed new plugs, new PCV and reemed out all the hoses and kicked up the idle just a bit. Didn't find any vacumn leaks, timing was on, air filter clean,and did the oil change last week. I expect to take it back for smogging on Wednesday. If you hear of someone going postal at an emissions station you all know NOTHING!

Anonymous

First time I went in Brat blew a 1.65 for the CO in idle mode (1.2 is the limit. This time it was a 0.06!

Now for the fun bit; while sitting in the little booth while the "tech" runs the car, I notice coolant flowing out of the Brat. I run over, look at the dash and he has revved it up past 6K! After telling him to shift he says "I thought I had it in 5th." To bad my brat only has 4! Ah, state emplyoees....

Originally posted by darthsoob

I fixed the exhaust leak, installed new plugs, new PCV and reemed out all the hoses and kicked up the idle just a bit.

. . . First time I went in Brat blew a 1.65 for the CO in idle mode (1.2 is the limit. This time it was a 0.06!

So -- a minor tuneup got you a reduction of CO by about an order of magnitude times two.

Why fight the system? It's there to let us all keep breathing a bit easier. You probably picked up some mileage, too :)

Really, on these older rigs, if you can't pass, something's really wrong. The pass std level is quite high. Until about '97, anyway.

(this talk of registering in a non-test county -- it's easier to fix a malfunction in the state of tune or maintenance of the engine!)

Qman's suggestion is the best one you'll get. On 6th Ave. South in south Seattle (near the Spokane St exit from Interstate 5) right next to the emissions testing place, you'll see a van parked in the side street with a sign--"$39.95 and you'll pass emissions or you don't pay." He is good to his word; I have run more than a dozen "beaters" through him and he's always come through. The few times he couldn't get it working it was because of a defective part. For example, an old Honda Prelude didn't pass and I brought to him. In 15 seconds, he told me he couldn't get it to pass. I asked why, and he said the diaphragm in the vacuum advance had a hole in it. He said bring it back with a new advance unit installed and he'll get it tweaked to pass emissions. $50 later (for a new advance unit) and another 15 minutes of adjustments and the car was good to go. His repair lasted for 6 more years (and 3 emissions tests) before we finally sold it. He's state certified and he has a complete sniffer setup in his van. Ask ratty2subaru about him. You won't regret it. And you won't regret having a car that isn't polluting the world.

Sorry, apparently I mis-read the title about passing the 2nd time. Good work guys!