Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please help! Check engine light on and cruise flashing

I have a 2005 Outback...

The other *very cold* night the check engine light came on and the cruise light started flashing (cruise would not work either). I thought it might get better once the weather warmed up a bit. It did (both lights went off), but this morning it started doing the same thing again. This was not a really cold morning, so my original theory isn't seeming plausible.

Has anyone experienced this and do I need to have it checked out?

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer,

Paige

Your car has thrown a code and that is why the Check Engine light is on aswell as the cruise light- which will flash

The reason the Cruise Control doesn't work is because of the code . You car is a "drive by wire " on the throttle . when there is a code in the memory, it goes into a fail safe mode -will not operate

Go to the dealer and get them to scan for the code

Hope this helps

SEA#3

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the advice - I'll make the trek into the dealer.

So what was the outcome? This just happened to mine as well. It did seem like my wife did not tighted the gas cap correctly. I am going to disconnect the battery tonight to reset the computer and see if the problem reappears. I was just curious if the dealer told you it was a different problem.