Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How can I check my timing belt?

You can pull the distributor cap. If the driver's side belt broke, the rotor won't turn while you crank the engine.

There are also inspection covers on the front of the timing belt covers. You can pull them off and feel for stripped teeth. Unfortunately, that's not always accurate, because if the teeth are stripped off at the crank, the belt won't turn.

this sounds like a timing belt issue. if you here a faint "slapping", it's a broken belt and the pieces are flying around inside the covers. not a good idea though as the belt could wrap around and possibly damage something.

quick - pull distributor cap. the timing belt drives the distributor so if it's broke the rotor won't spin. this is the most likely belt to break, but if the other (passengers side) belt is broke this one will still be fine and you won't know it by using this check.

a more thorough check is to take a 10mm socket wrench and pull the left and right timing belt cover. they come off very easily, have a screw driver handy in case you need to "pry" them off at a rusted screw/bolt. couple 10 mm bolts and it's magic, there your timing belts are. this will allow you to check both belts and also their alignment (in case one jumped a tooth).

this definitely sounds like a timing belt failure. non-interference engine though, so slap another on there and be on your way.

Help, my 86 subie quit! It died at a stop sign and though the engine cranks , it won't turn over. It also sounds different. Could I have a broken timing belt and is there any way to check, without tearing everything down?

How long ago was the last timing belt change. Put your hand over the carb, and your hand should be sucked in when cranked, if your timing belt broke, it will get sucked in and pushed out (or pushed out as i dont remeber if this has one timing belt or two). The big indicator here is that the car sounds differnt, let me guess, it cranks faster then it did before.

As long as your there, dont forget the water pump.

nippper