Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello-

I bought a used 2000 Impreza Outback Sport from a dealership in 2003- unfortunately the car has been one check engine light nightmare after another- the light is now going on because of the idle speed motor- has anyone ever heard of this problem and do you know how much it would cost to fix it.

Also- I live in Boston, MA and am looking for a really good mechanic in the area that would save me from having to take the car to the dealership- they charged me $85. for a diagnostic- only to tell me "they don't know what the code means". So they cleared it and when it came on again a month later I had to have the clutch replaced. Any advice is welcomed!

The idle motor is on top of the throttle body. It may just need to be cleaned. It's possible the plunger is getting stuck and causing the check engine light. Or that the electrical connections are not good.

You may want to post in the meet & greet forum to see if there's anyone around that can give you a recommendation on a mechanic.

You may also want to try the regional forums on NASIOC, http://forums.nasioc.com/forums . There's bound to be some other impreza owners near you that can recommend a mechanic.