Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 outback soch or doch 2.5?

this is my first subaru and i need to know if i have the soch or doch 2.5 in my 2002 outback. its near 60,000 and time for the timming belt change . the owners manual is of no help and the only shop manual i have goes to 98 for the brighton(outback). by the way my head gaskets blew at 38.000K ! dealer fixed for free. great car otherwise

Another Floridian. Cool!

The DOHC EJ25 was only from 96-99. Yours is definitely a SOHC. It had much worse headgasket issues.

You're wise to want to change the timing belt at 60k miles. Even though the interval on this engine is 105k, I still think 60k is safer. Rubber is rubber.

It would tangle the valves but if I were you I would change the belt at 90,000 and reseal and put a water pump on at the same time. You are wasting a bit of time and money if you do it at 60,000, but it's your car.

I agree with Cookie, 60k is too early, I would go 90 or 100k and change the water pump, cam and crank seals, oil pump seals.