Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dyno'd the turbo engine today

As some of you may or may not know, I rebuilt and swapped an ej22t engine from a turbo legacy into my legacy. The motor's broken in, and I took it to the dyno.

I got 153 HP at the wheels, and around 156 ft-lbs of torque.

Not too bad for a pretty much stock ej22t with bolt ons. The dyno I was on doesn't use any correction factors, so it's pretty accurate, and is probably lower then most.

Other interesting note is the tuner guy mentioned I'm running a little lean until about 4500 rpm, most likely due to the fact the small turbo builds boost so fast, but then I'm running a little rich afterwards. So a little tuning will probably smooth out the AFR. Boost level stayed pretty consistent across the entire rpm range.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/tlegdyno1.jpg

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/tlegdyno2.jpg

Pics of the engine rebuild & swap if you haven't seen them.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/ej22t

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What sort of bolt-ons?

Stock is "HP 160@5600rpm, torque 181@2800rpm" (cars101.com). Of course, that's BHP, not WHP. I'd love to know how much driveline loss a Legacy experiences.

How long did it take to sweep from 3000 to 6000 rpm?

Pet peeve: They should start the test at the lowest rotational velocity that can support WOT, which is probably more like 2000RPM than 3k. Seeing as I usually shift at 3k, dyno charts like this one are not so relevant to me. Your peak torque is below 3000, so even a performance tuner would want data down in that range.

Bolt ons

MSD Dis 2 ignition

Stock sized lw pullies

lw flywheel

magnecor 8.5mm wires

CES 3" turbo back exhaust

modified stock air box

I did datalog during the pulls. I'll have to check the time. Yeah, as for starting at a lower rpm, that would have been better. I mainly just wanted a baseline before I started doing any other mods, so I had an idea of how much I gained.

over 150 whp is very respectible. That must be fun....what kind of mileage are you seeing? Congrats.

On the highway if I'm behaving....around 20ish. Around town 16-17 when I'm on it.

I need to check my most recent couple of fill-ups though....I haven't checked them.

As some of you may or may not know, I rebuilt and swapped an ej22t engine from a turbo legacy into my legacy. The motor's broken in, and I took it to the dyno.

Not too bad for a pretty much stock ej22t with bolt ons. The dyno I was on doesn't use any correction factors, so it's pretty accurate, and is probably lower then most.

Other interesting note is the tuner guy mentioned I'm running a little lean until about 4500 rpm, most likely due to the fact the small turbo builds boost so fast, but then I'm running a little rich afterwards. So a little tuning will probably smooth out the AFR. Boost level stayed pretty consistent across the entire rpm range.

Nice Work Man!!! :banana: That engine compartment is as clean as they come. VERY NICE job. I Especially like the addition of the Optima Yellow Top. :grin:

Josh,

Do you have any dyno charts from the pre-turbo engine?

It would be cool to see the difference.

Great job, wish I had the time, talent, and tools to get a job like that done (and the money)

By the way, did you keep track of the amount of money invested into the turbo swap??

Matt D

Good job!

It almost looks as good as my car..............yeah right! Cleanest part on my car is the hood latch!

What kind of boost are you looking at running?

Is there any issues with the trans when adding that kind of power?

Will you have to upgrade the cooling system? You still have the NA rad right?

What does it cost to put your car on the dyno?

Good job again!

Beezer

Josh,

Do you have any dyno charts from the pre-turbo engine?

It would be cool to see the difference.

Great job, wish I had the time, talent, and tools to get a job like that done (and the money)

By the way, did you keep track of the amount of money invested into the turbo swap??

Matt D

Yeah, I've got a dyno chart from the n/a ej22 motor. Remember it's a completely different motor. Also, it's a different dyno, so you really can't do an apples to apples comparison.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/legacydyno.jpg

Yeah I kept track of all the costs. With all the performance parts and rebuild I've got just a little over $7,000 into it. I'll do a write up like I did with the AWD & 5MT conversion when I get some time.

Good job!

It almost looks as good as my car..............yeah right! Cleanest part on my car is the hood latch!

What kind of boost are you looking at running?

Is there any issues with the trans when adding that kind of power?

Will you have to upgrade the cooling system? You still have the NA rad right?

What does it cost to put your car on the dyno?

Good job again!

Beezer

Honestly, I really don't have any idea of what sort of boost I'm going to run. It's still up in the air. It'll probably depend too on the turbo, and where its efficiency ranges are.

Yeah there are probably some issues with putting down that much power through the transmission. I may/hoping will be alright, but I'll just have to wait and see. I won't be doing any AWD clutch drops though.

There was some discussion about the cooling system and using the n/a radiator on the legacycentral bbs. I am having zero cooling issues, temps are running fine. I'm running just shy of a 50/50 mix, and redline water wetter. Unless I have issues, which I don't think I will, I'm not going to worry about it.

This last time it was $50 for 3 runs and a/f ratio monitoring.

Thanks for the comments guys!

On the highway if I'm behaving....around 20ish. Around town 16-17 when I'm on it.

I need to check my most recent couple of fill-ups though....I haven't checked them.

Not to rain on yoru parade, but I do better than that in my 442 RWHP Z06. I'm looking into an EJ22T sway myself and was hoping to see better. :(

-TJ

mileage, at least the late ones. My friend Doug does better with his 05 Vette than I do with my BMW M Roadster.

You are never going to get truly great fuel mileage out of a boxy little four wheel drive car with a high numerical gear ratio. One of the reasons for the Vette's good mileage is the high rear end and economy and emissions gearing (love that six speed in Doug's car.)

I am sure fuel mileage was not a main point of this excercise. What Josh has right now is a little sleeper that did not cost a lot of money and has the pride of building it yourself. It would be nice to get better mileage too but you need to have the parts to do that in the Subaru inventory, and anything that might help is too expensive for a project right now.

wow, nicely recorded work. you should write in step by steps

Nice Josh, liking your torque curve already :)

Of course, being a cautios man myself, I would run a bigger radiator. Have you tried comparing the two? Euro turbo rads much bigger than NA.

The turbo radiator is taller, and without modifying the lower radiator support, it's not going to fit. I don't feel like messing with that. I'm running a lower ratio of anti-freeze & water as well as redline water wetter. I have not seen any issues what so ever, temps are maintaining where they need to be. If I find that I'm running warm, I'll probably look at a custom two row n/a sized radiator, instead of the one row.

I don't doubt that your present temps are fine, but if you do some "spirited" driving you might like the extra cooling capacity.

If your rad is presently working at 90% to keep things in check, then you're not far off an overheating situation - especially with a bigger turbo :-)

Just a suggestion from a careful man. Please consider that I have BIG respect for your skills :D