Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81 heater control valve removal?

Doing heater control valve and core on 86 hatch. I found one mounting screw and have removed the hoses on the HCV to heater core and am presently working on the hoses under the hood. The problem is the darn thing seems to be hanging up like I missed something but I can't see to verify that and I can't feel anything else back there. Does she just need more elbow grease or is there something else?

Doing heater control valve and core on 86 hatch. I found one mounting screw and have removed the hoses on the HCV to heater core and am presently working on the hoses under the hood. The problem is the darn thing seems to be hanging up like I missed something but I can't see to verify that and I can't feel anything else back there. Does she just need more elbow grease or is there something else?

i think there are 2 screws...

you can see both the holes in the first pic....

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/USRM2/mick-usrm/heatercore/heatercore.html

one is way down in left hand corner....

The one I missed was the top one.. I guess I should have started ealier so I could have better light.. I am in the process of puttin it all back in.. Having just a little trouble getting the hoses between the core and valve to start. Which is why I decided to take a break and check the board. so far only minor headaches but going faster now.

Mike, as I recall from replacing both the core and the HCV, the HCV was relatively easy (keep in mind this was a long time ago, around the time of WCSS3), I may have hooked up the hoses from the engine side backwards (if it even matters), but that part of the job was straightforward. The toughest part for me was putting it all back together perfectly. Remember: Duct tape is your friend:lol: . Works great for me, except I either broke or goofed something up when reassembling all the controls..it still ain't right, but I've got lots-o-heat:brow: and no leaks. Mick's got some great pix and explanations (thanks again).Good luck!

I decided to take the rest of the night off after I couldn't get the core to line up with HCV. The core is firmly in place but I can't quite get them just so.. The ends are overlapping and am a little afraid to try to bend the fittings to get them right and i think they won't be aligned if I do. I will post a pic This afternoon while screwing with it some more.