Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05 Runaway electronic throttle

The Mystery of the Impreza That Drove Itself has been solved. Matt at Skagit Subaru said the new cars will rev to 2,500 rpm to warm up the cat if you start moving before the cat reaches temp. It's rather scary if you're in gear at the time, and I think it'd be safer if it revved during idle instead, but that's the way it is.

The Mystery of the Impreza That Drove Itself has been solved. Matt at Skagit Subaru said the new cars will rev to 2,500 rpm to warm up the cat if you start moving before the cat reaches temp. It's rather scary if you're in gear at the time, and I think it'd be safer if it revved during idle instead, but that's the way it is.

Sorry, but with the danger of accident and consequent liability for the car maker involved, i would be extremely surprised if this was anything else than Matt's way of hiding the fact that he does'nt understand why your car is acting up.

That is very similar to the line of crap I got out of my dealer when the TPS was creating a life of its own.

I filed a NHTSA report.

My 06 idles @ below 1000rpm.

Oh, it idles at or below 1000, no problem. Once the car begins to move (tires rolling with or without the engine on line) it revs up to 2,500. If it's in gear I have to punch the clutch and brake so the car doesn't take off without me. I've only had to pull off to the side of the road and wait for it to drop back down once, but I didn't enjoy it much. Usually it stops after a few seconds.

Get it in writing. Then copy the NTSB, SOA, and anyone else you can think of for a second opinion.

Or pull up next to a line of thier new cars, let your car "suddenly advance" into a couple of them and see how acceptable this behavior is considered. (Just kidding)

Once upon a time I lived on a cattle farm and shoveled a lot of what you are being told.

Just my opinions

Interesting.

I can't comment on this particular discussion, but there are schemes in use out there to "warm up the cats quicker". Several years ago, the owner of our company was telling me that he thought something was wrong with his car the first winter (I don't recall if it was his Audi or Mercedes) when it wouldn't upshift until high(er) revs when cold. Turns out, part of the warm up scheme. Holding the lower gear longer so the engine revs higher, thereby warming the cats quicker.

Commuter

I think I'll do some experimenting: warm it up extra long, rev it myself BEFORE the tires start rolling, etc. It is related to the first start in the morning and in the evening when i leave work. I want to understand my car.... my first brand new car, and I intend to keep it a looooooong time. Does anyone know how I could find out the specifications for the cat warm-up? A website link? I wouldn't even know where to start looking.

I think I'll do some experimenting: warm it up extra long, rev it myself BEFORE the tires start rolling, etc. It is related to the first start in the morning and in the evening when i leave work. I want to understand my car.... my first brand new car, and I intend to keep it a looooooong time. Does anyone know how I could find out the specifications for the cat warm-up? A website link? I wouldn't even know where to start looking.

Anything that would cause your car to rev up to 2500 rpm by itself when in gear (whatever the temperature) is abnormal and criminally dangerous. Like someone wrote, you should ask Matt to put what he told you in writing and show that to SOA or even the dealer and ask if they are ready to stand behind that. No way can you car be designed to do that.

• 12 years later...

Hate to drag out an old post but I cant seem to find anything about Foresters accelerating unexpectedly, except this somewhat scenario. I'm about to get a 2003 Forester for my kid, but after some research on the net, I found some issues. I dont know how many are valid & thought it a little strange none were found in these forums. Are they legit? Should I be concerned? Unless they are Toyota copy cats, because only 4 complaints before 2010. https://www.carcomplaints.com/Subaru/Forester/2003/engine/vehicle_speed_control.shtml