Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing The E-Brake????

if you want to do cable, you would have to do some work to the rear drums/discs, you would have to rework the e-brake lever, and route cables. The brakes would be the hard part.

To do it through the main brake system you would have to conver the brake system to be on seperate front/rear circuits, instead of dual diagonal, which is a matter of rerouting brake lines. Then, you could add a clutch cylinder or small master cylinder into the rear circuit, to be actuated by the handbrake lever. This will give you better slide control, with less effort to lock up the wheels, which I'm sure you would be very keen on :D

yea thats about what i was thinkin would be involved but i had a hope that it might be easier, and yes i would VERY keen on having less effort into locking the rear tires :brow:

so i guess next time im at the junkyard its time to look for a small Master Cylinder.

Thanks for the Help

P.S. If Anyone Else has done this or has seen a Write-up/How To on this please let me know i havent had any luck finding anything on it pertaining to subaru's

I'd be interested in finding out as well.

I don't remember if it was my Dad's 78 Brat or my 80 Wagon but as I was new to Subaru back then I didn't know it was on the front wheels. I was trying to show off and pull an emergency brake spin but as you can guess things didn't work out too good and I ended up in a snowbank. Oh well...

Kernzie