Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ER27 to replace EA82

I have an 87XT w/EA82 and 5 speed. I was thinking of doing an EJ22 or 25 swap until now. I have found a ER27 in an XT6 that runs good but hit hard in the rear. What would it take to swap in the ER for the EA?

thanks

OH BTW....when the rear of the car got banged, it didn't get to the axle. I am thinking of getting the 5 lug/disks and replace the 4 lug/drum rear...what do I need other than the disk/caliper?...master?...dist. block?...

thanks

Bill in Denver

there's a good thread about 5 lug swap parts and details. not sure where exactly, but it's not hard to find.

what do you want out of this car? if you want more power an EA82T would be much easier. it would nearly be a drop in, require very little work and can get about the same amount of power as you can out of an XT6 (without all the weight, tight spaces and poor handling due to size). the EA82T is the best low cost option. sell your XT6 parts car and use the $ to buy or build and EA82T.

if you really want to transplant, go with the EJ22 or newer motors. if you want power, go with a turbo. the ER27 is not a powerhouse by any means. it's a great motor, i dig the XT6, i've owned about 15 of them. but it's not a good candidate for power. the newer motors are easier to work on and find parts for. the XT6 isn't that bad, but will requrie a learning curve and more time/energy for finding and rebuilding parts.

you can find EA82T blocks and parts easily and inexpensively. read some dyno charts for EA82T's, you'll see some great numbers posted by board members.

the XT6 ER27 would require all the wiring harness and computer - it is not the same as the EA82. the wiring would be a tedious job not worthy of my time in my oppinion...so i'd go with an EJ22T or something like that if i were putting that kind of time into it.

hmm what about ER27.......turboized!

i hear it has been done before. swap pistons from the EA82T motor to lower compression (that will keep you from poping it). install an areocharger or standard type turbo of sufficent size(plumbing issues). custom up/down pipes.

run the fuel system with a megasquirt system.

the XT cars seem like they were made for a fron mount intercooler.

definately do the 5 lug swap to gain a good selection of wheels and suspension components.

oh wait sorry thats MY current dream sube. go get your own. JK

you can build it if you want.

the current trend is to go EJ22. not a bad chioce there either. simple yet durable.

Nobody has mentioned substantial modification to the engine bay that is required to install an ER27 in an EA82 car. The engine bay is not physically long enough to take this engine, you'll have to either chop away and custom modify a new core support, or weld in an XT6 one. Along with this core support, the hood release needs to be relocated. Also the radiator, fans, and A/C condensor. Not an easy job either way. While an EJ22 does take some custom work to get done, it will physically fit within the stock engine bay...

Nobody has mentioned substantial modification to the engine bay that is required to install an ER27 in an EA82 car. The engine bay is not physically long enough to take this engine, you'll have to either chop away and custom modify a new core support, or weld in an XT6 one. Along with this core support, the hood release needs to be relocated. Also the radiator, fans, and A/C condensor. Not an easy job either way. While an EJ22 does take some custom work to get done, it will physically fit within the stock engine bay...

this is somewhat true. but if you are going to swap an ER27 into an EA82 car the stadard XT is one of the best options. I was at the junk yard with an XT right next to an XT6. I spent a good bit of time observing the differnces. It might be as simple as moving the fan to the front of the radiator. or mabey you will need to do some chop mods. go take some actual measurements.

well...so much for thinking it was a "drop-in" swap. From the sounds of it, even tho they are both XT's they're nowhere near similar under the hood structurally. As far as turbo install...doesn't that require some additional wiring/etc as well? If its this much work, Im seriouslly thinking about the EJ route...

Bill

i'm not an EA82 master, but im about to swap an NA into a turbo (the opposite of what you're talking about) and it doesn't appear to be that difficult. almost a straight swap - just need new intake and ypipe for the exhaust to remove the turbo and that's it.

your 87 might be carbed? i'll let someone else detail that as i dont know much about carbed. if it's MPFI it'll be an easy swap really.

• 2 weeks later...

ok...found a 80k mile EJ22 unit at a local yard for $79.95 special price today only etc...

popped timing belt looks to the the only problem as the car is pretty clean otherwise.

rather than going the adaptor plate route, why cant I just transplant the engine AND 5spd tranny into the XT? I can get the tranny for an extra $49.95. What else is different??

combo if I get both are out of a 92 Legacy

thanks

Bill

also...found a 86 XT6 yesterday in a local yard that is pretty much all there if someone needs anything

Actually the only thing i have seen you must do is move the radiator up to where the spare tire goes...yes, theres a bunch of other little things that go along with it, but thats about your biggest part of the project...

Remember though..if your waterpump goes, or something on the front of the engine goes on the ER27....its not going to be fun to change...changing things like that on the engine you've already got is bad enough...just imagine trying to do it when the front of the engine is underneath that peace of sheet metal...you might even have to pull the engine for work like that....

Other than that its a great idea, i wanted to do it myself, but i just cant afford it right now...

Good luck hope it works out,

Bill

ok...found a 80k mile EJ22 unit at a local yard for $79.95 special price today only etc...

popped timing belt looks to the the only problem as the car is pretty clean otherwise.

rather than going the adaptor plate route, why cant I just transplant the engine AND 5spd tranny into the XT? I can get the tranny for an extra $49.95. What else is different??

combo if I get both are out of a 92 Legacy

thanks

Bill

also...found a 86 XT6 yesterday in a local yard that is pretty much all there if someone needs anything

unless you've got some attachment to your existing tranny....I'd get the EJ tranny too. I, personally, would want the diff lock/lo range (RX) of an EA tranny, mated to an EJ motor....but the EJ trannies are very nice too. I hear that EA82t axles will fit the legacy tranny stubs. you may want to grab the rear diff too, have to be sure you've got a matching ratio

EA82 loyale......water pumps are EASY!

the er27 fits in a hatchback(ea81)body just fine. you just have to take out the two inner headlights, the radiator is the big problem. the ea82 bodies are longer than the ea81s by a few inches in the engine compartment... i think there might be a good chance of runing an er27 in an ea82 body, like a wagon or sedan. you would need a fan in front of the radiator though.

either way you need to add wiring, and thats the easy part. subaru mpfi is the simplest efi i have ever seen. it seriously only takes about 4 wires to wire an ea82mpfi, or er27mpfi. the spfi is a little different.

the er27 weighs alot, but sounds so damn cool, and has off idle power