Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

First, let me say hello to everyone, as I'm new here.

I have a 98 Forester that I purchased new. Recently, I notice a noise from the rear right wheel (at least it sounds like that's where it originates). as I mentioned in the title, it's a grinding or whirring type noise. hard to describe.

I live in NYC, and only have 38000 miles on it, but they're tough miles on mean streets. Any thoughts? bearings? i gotta find a mechanic, but i'd like to go there with some idea of what the problem is. at least appear to know what I'm talking about.

I love my car, and this is the first problem i've had in 8 years.

thanks

steve

does sound like the tell tale bad rear bearing.

beefy Legacy replacement bearing is what you want.

To view pricing, or to order - go here:

1) https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

2) look up by part numbers below

bearing - 28016AA030

oil seal - 28015AA090

oil seal - 28015AA100

oil seal - 28015AA110

axle nut (recommended) - 28044AA000

snap ring (recommended) - 28035AA040

let me know if you have questions.

this should get your whirring grinding noise sorted!

Happy Holidays!! newyear.gif

Jamie Thomas

Jamie at chaplins.com

logo.gif

http://www.subiegal.com

Oh yeah, you're most likely going to need a shop to change out the bearing, because you're "supposed" to use a hydrolic press to get them in and out.. pain in the rump roast if you ask me. I've had it done 3 times now (twice they didn't know about the legacy bearing), cost about.. $300 labor + parts, but if you get parts via Jamie it'll drive your cost down ;)

I am pretty sure the 98 Forester still used drum brakes in the rear. It is possible that the shoes are not fully retracting, for whatever reason, and rubbing against the drum.

I guess I would try and gently pull the parking brake up while driving to see if the noise changes, but make sure you keep your finger on the button so you don't engage the ratcheting mechanism. Can you "feel" anything when you do this? You could also stick your finger through the rim to touch the drum after driving...If one is really warm and the other isn't too bad, then that may help guide you in the right direction.

If it isn't your brakes, then it is the wheel bearing. 1998 Foresters love to chew them up and spit them out.

Take care,

Kevin