Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru project

Hi all, this is my first post here and hopefully someone can help me with their wisdom! I am planning a project using a 1.8 litre engine from a 91 loyale, and i'm wondering if i can simplify things a bit. can it be possible to convert this to a carb and maybe get rid of some of the electronics? perhaps change to a coil and distributor? i was on a site that talked about converting these engines to work in aircraft and it indicated this may be possible, but no details on how. if anyone can help id appreciate it . thanks. If someone wishes to e mail me i can be reached at redsatt@hotmail.com

Yes, loyales came with what were called EA82 motors, They're already coil and disty, and in '85 and '86, came with a carb from the factory (MPFI and turbo was an option....), and many have upgraded to a Weber carb.

Some prefer the EA81 engines for planes...simpler, timing chain instead of belts, smaller....and there are a bunch of performance parts for them with the idea of using them in planes

Some prefer the EA81 engines for planes...simpler, timing chain instead of belts, smaller....and there are a bunch of performance parts for them with the idea of using them in planes

No timing chain either, camshaft is gear driven. Also lighter.

If you are going to use the EA82 engine from the loyale, just find a '85 - '87 carbbed EA82 and you can swap the entire intake manifold onto it. The compression ratio is a little higher for the SPFI EA82, but other than that, the SPFI and carbbed engines are the same from the intake manifold down. You'll also need the distributor from the carbbed one.