Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Baja to the rescue! (long story, and I'm gonna tell it!)

So I was home tonight, and I happend to look out one of the windows to see a car shining it's headlights on our house. My first thought was that someone had pulled into our driveway. But the car seemed to be at the wrong angle for our driveway. So I went to the front door to investigate. I slipped on my work boots and went outside, only to see one of my co-worker's Toyota Solara sitting up on my nighbors lawn, stuck in the snow! Joe, my high school aged co-worker, and his friend were working hard on trying to push it out of a drift. "Joe, do you need me to pull you out?" I asked him. "That would be great!" he replied. So I got the Baja out of the garage, and backed up to him. We were in the process of hooking up a tow strap when a full sized Ford pick up drove by. He stoped to ask if we needed help. I am sure that he was thinking that there would be no way this little Subaru can get that car out! So I proceded to pull ahead and pick up the slack in the rope. With this accomplished, I slowly accelerated until I had broke the Toyota out of it's snow drift hug.:-p The Ford, which had been waiting to spring into action in the event of a Subaru forefit, drove away, and the kids thanked me and shook my hand. Man, I just love this car! We had been thinking about selling it, because money is a little tight and it would be nice not to have the payments, but I am so pleased with it I am trying hard to find a way to keep it. Like I have said before, the only thing I could'nt do with the Baja, that I could with my Dakota, is pull a dual axle car trailer! Anyways, I hope everyone gets as much of a kick out of this as I did! Kurt

Whats even better is when your out wheelin and you drive past a big ford truck stuck and you ask him if he needs a tow and he laughs at you then you hook it up to your subaru and pull his rump roast out and watch the look on everyones faces! Keep the subaru man! you wont find a better car!

• 1 month later...

I think that every sube owner has there own cool rescue story......heres mine. One of my buddies had just purchased a new(er) heep wrangler, and he thought he was all big and bad. Always pickin on me and my sube.....sayin it has NO off road ability. Well, he just had to prove it to me I guess...and to make a long story short, he got it stuck WAY out there on the state land.....and I mean STUCK.....-all 4 wheels off the ground with the center skid plates up on a pile of mud- stuck. Well, after an hour of digging and pushing on it, and a couple hours walk back to civilization....we arrived at his house cold and tired. Not to fear, however......BAJA to the rescue! Threw a chain in the bed, and slid the hitch in, and we were ready to go! Drove BACK up into the state land......BACK through the SAME trails....the SAME mud.....you get the idea. Pulled his sorry jeep out with minimal tire spinning....and drove away with ALL the bragging rights!!!!!! :slobber:

Great story. Keep the Baja if at all possible. I guess their following is limited (CR calls it the answer to the question no one was asking), but I think they are the coolest car on any dealer lot. Down the road they are going to be a car/truck people have to look hard for to buy in good used condition, so keep what you have. I, personally, have Baja-envy. Hopefully, finish paying off my student loans and I'll own one in a couple years...

I'm probably the only Land Surveyor in a 5 state area that works out of a Subaru Legacy Outback. My 92 Legacy wagon AWD was fantastic, then I moved up to my 97 Outback with the 5 speed. I've been through plenty of mud here in The South, and never once have I been stuck!

Funny how Subaru changed their selling pitch from "All Wheel Drive" to "All Weather Drive".......if they changed it to "GMD" (Go Muddin' Drive) they'd sell a LOT more of them in The South!:lol:

I'm probably the only Land Surveyor in a 5 state area that works out of a Subaru Legacy Outback. My 92 Legacy wagon AWD was fantastic, then I moved up to my 97 Outback with the 5 speed. I've been through plenty of mud here in The South, and never once have I been stuck!

Funny how Subaru changed their selling pitch from "All Wheel Drive" to "All Weather Drive".......if they changed it to "GMD" (Go Muddin' Drive) they'd sell a LOT more of them in The South!:lol:

I'm currently working towards my license in NYS :) I only use my Legacy on some occassions though.

• 1 month later...

pulled a 5,000 pound truck 1/8 of a mile uphill once, had it in d/r 2nd gear... the guy still thinks it never happened. It just doesn't seem physically possible to him... lol. HOLY FREAKIN CRAP I MISS MY SUBARU. HONDAS CAN'T DO JACK SQUAT. well, they can squat just fine... haha.

Awesome!

I have three pulls to my '03 outback

1. Ford Explorer stuck in foot deep snow!

2. Mercury Mountaineer buried to the axles in sand!

3. Chev S-10 4x4 pu stuck in a snow drift...

People are amazed how well subies do!

:banana: No pics yet ...I try not humiliate the owners too much....!

• 1 month later...
So I was home tonight, and I happend to look out one of the windows to see a car shining it's headlights on our house. My first thought was that someone had pulled into our driveway. But the car seemed to be at the wrong angle for our driveway. So I went to the front door to investigate. I slipped on my work boots and went outside, only to see one of my co-worker's Toyota Solara sitting up on my nighbors lawn, stuck in the snow! Joe, my high school aged co-worker, and his friend were working hard on trying to push it out of a drift. "Joe, do you need me to pull you out?" I asked him. "That would be great!" he replied. So I got the Baja out of the garage, and backed up to him. We were in the process of hooking up a tow strap when a full sized Ford pick up drove by. He stoped to ask if we needed help. I am sure that he was thinking that there would be no way this little Subaru can get that car out! So I proceded to pull ahead and pick up the slack in the rope. With this accomplished, I slowly accelerated until I had broke the Toyota out of it's snow drift hug.:-p The Ford, which had been waiting to spring into action in the event of a Subaru forefit, drove away, and the kids thanked me and shook my hand. Man, I just love this car! We had been thinking about selling it, because money is a little tight and it would be nice not to have the payments, but I am so pleased with it I am trying hard to find a way to keep it. Like I have said before, the only thing I could'nt do with the Baja, that I could with my Dakota, is pull a dual axle car trailer! Anyways, I hope everyone gets as much of a kick out of this as I did! Kurt

:headbang: elcaminokurt- What year Dakota did you have if I can ask? I too traded in a Dakota for my Baja. It was a '01 Quad Cab Sport 4x4 with the 4.7L V8, MT, and 3.55 LSD. I liked the truck but the mpg were killing me! I like my Baja better, it's faster and easier to drive. The only thing I miss about the Dak is the V8 rumble!

Spacinjason

I remember once i was driving to my cottage and we saw a car stuck in a ditch and it was pitch black but the snow was higher than the door. I was driving a 93 leg wagon(still driven it today) and it was really hard to see the car. So i turned back and then saw his lights flashing. It was a Ford Taurus this was back in '99. So i stepped out and knocked on his windows i fell intohis car(LOL) anyway so he said PLEASE SIR. So i didn't have any ropes but i had a bumper! so i drove into the ditch and pushed him out. O by the way my dad was driving and i was 8 years old lol. We did get him out with alot of wheel spin (dum all-season) but still we were amazed to bad they didnt have camera phones at the time would have been good to post a pick. But, it amazing what these cars can do with litte ground clearance.