Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How the EA82 manifold and carb swap unfolded...

Well, some bad news. I got it all done, fitted on, and running. had a hard time idling, had little power.

When I first got it on, my disty died, so I replaced that, and now when I put my old EA81 manifold and carb back on, somehow, I have white exhaust. I don't think my heads are cracked, but you never know, and I can see water leaking slowly from the back of my engine when I look under the car.

Did I accidentally hook up some water stuff to my intake? I'm not driving it right now, and it's at Andrew's house. One way or another, we'll get it fixed, there is a spare engine I was going to purchase from him, so we'll be okay. got a spare engine for parts, it just needs new bearings, so we can use the intake and the heads if needed.

I've doubled up gaskets before, but not gasket to gasket. I've always cut out a thin sheet of either aluminum, or steel, depending on whats laying around, and stacked that in between the gaskets. Of course this was on (cough cough), V8's. You can do anything if you put some time into it.

Did you just use the EA82 intake, or both the intake and carby? The hitachi carbs that were on the EA82's were feedback, and relied quite heavily on the computer (you can get em to run without the computer, but it takes some fiddling.)

When you take of the intake, no matter how much you try not too, you always get some coolant that goes into the heads. depending on how much got in there, you can end up blowing white for up to a week. SO the best advice was already given, watch your coolant level, and drive the &*#! out of it, see if it clears up, if not, then I would check gaskets.

I assume you used an EA82 manifold, if so there is the little hole with a small pipe sticking up beside the large hole where the fuel/air goes in. when I put the weber adaptor plate on with the gasket in between, it didn't quite seal it off and as a consequence water forced its way into the motor. to cut a long story short, I pulled it off again and blocked the hole with hard setting resin and put it back together. had a white exhaust for half an hour too.

I am not a big fan of silicon either, I seen it mess up gaskets rather effectively. use a real liquid gasket sealant as well as the papers. the water at the back sounds like you haven't connected up one of the little hoses on the manifold.

the poor idling sounds like a vacuum leak. I had to file off a little rise on the rhs of the manifold, coz it stopped the adaptor plate from sitting flush.

hope that helps, as you can see I had a few problems when I did it! :banghead:

the problem with how I re-put the EA81 manifold back on is that maybe I didn't tighten them down enough, and I'm basically 100% certain my problem is more of how the manifold is placed on the motor than anything else.

The problem with the EA82 manifold on an EA81 engine is that the disty doesn't allow much play, so you can't adjust timing acurately.