Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifting the Legacy OBW.

TheYeti

I recently installed a lift on the LOBW about two weeks ago, and a few of you were asking about the process, so I thought I would post it here.

The lift involved installation of KYB GR2s and a set of Scorpion (King) lift springs.

IMG_0296.jpg

Here is a picture before the install. About 10 inches from the sill. Not bad...

IMG_0294.jpg

The total "time" was about 4.5 hours. The total "install" took about 2.5 hours. I won't mention that I managed to crossthread one of the tops, and lose a nut, and... yeah, it was not one of my better install days. :)

IMG_0302.jpg

After we installed everything and lowered the car off the jackstands the wagon gained about 3 inches in clearance. Now that the springs have settled, I gained about 2 inches, which is what the springs are supposed to give.

IMG_0304.jpg

Overall, the ride is much improved! I really like it. The car gives much better feedback both on and off the road and there is certainly less body roll when compared to the old springs.

IMG_0310.jpg

This last picture is on that my girlfriend took while we were out for a morning cruise. We stopped the local shop to see if a friend was working. He wasn't ther but we did find a stock OBW, so we just took a comparison picture instead.

IMG_0320.jpg

Cost?

Are the KYB struts the same one's normally spec'ed for the Outback?

Part numbers might be cool if you still have them handy.

Looks good and thanks for posting it!

Ah! Good question. Yes, the KYB struts are the same normally spec'ed for the Outback, outside of being the GR2 model, which is supposed to be about 20-30% stiffer than their standard OEM strut.

Total cost for the lift and all of the shipping cost was about $800 even. $20 of that was for new rubber boot thingies to protect the struts.

Here is a list of the part numbers:

KYB GR2 Legacy OUTBACK strut.

-Right Front: 235632

-Right Rear: 335020

-Left Front: 235833

-Left Rear: 335021

You can find the King lift springs (Under the Scorpion name) at Renick Motorsports

I had the part numbers at one time. I will try to find King Spring's web site, and see if the part numbers are listed there.

I'm sitting here thinking about suspensions, and I have a couple of questions. I'd like to lift my legacy, but not stiffen up the suspension (already stiff to my likening with gr-2's).

1. What percentage of travel is extension slowing rather than compression of the strut in everyday bumps on the road?

2. How far down from fully extended is the suspension at, when a Legacy is just sitting there (stock parts).

If the answer to 2 is 75% up, and the answer to 1 is low, couldn't I get away with lifting my legacy by just putting spacers in somewhere (or multiple places), thus not stiffening the ride? Or am I off base here?

• 4 weeks later...

i know that if i use OB struts and springs on my 94 legacy,i need to use OB strut tops which will require me to drill new holes.

my question is-when drilling new holes to fit the OB tops.would i have to drill three new ones or just one or two?didn't know if like 1 or 2 of the previous holes would line right up.i was looking to use OB struts along with the Scorpion lift springs.so i'll assume that i need OB tops.

i was hoping that they made lift springs for legacys but only for imprezas and OBs.

any pointers for drilling new holes would be appreciated thanks

take out the current strut, take your new OB top, place it on the holes from the TOP SIDE (engine compartment) and mark where you need to drill the holes, the orientation of the cap doesn't really matter... i think.. (i hope :grin: )

thanks andy

i'll give it a try.

• 1 year later...