Ultimate Subaru Message Board

x-mas eve wheeling-C**P broke something

chazmataz

went wheeling with a couple of buddies up on goat mtn. last night. Ya Buddy it was a blast. was following an atv trail around the USFS block in the road to get back to a lake we we're in the big dug out full of mud was trying to climb over a stump on the enbankment to get around a concrete barrier was working it real hard when BANG...ZZZZZZZ :eek: , there went the right rear drive no more locked rear end DAWM IT. axles where still there ,so its something internal. still trying to get myself out, couldn't do it:banghead: , S**T had to be pulled out by a DAWM jeep cherokee of course i helped with my broken subie, 2wd and all. this S**KS, need to get fixed for mudfest next weekend in Scappose. with post pics as soon as i can.

been wheeling for a year now and no breakage until last night, odds we're definately against me.:D

OH WELL, knew it would happen someday at the rate i was going, :lol: . it was fun while it lasted.:banana:

Merry Christmas everybody.

well when it broke my buddy said i was still spitting mud at him with the left side but the right wasn't doing anything. i briefly jacked it up yesterday morning before leaving to do the family thing and i could grab the driveline and spin the tire but if i grab the stub for the left side it won't turn, this is with it in 4wd. so, i'm thinking it could be the stub but then again it my be the axle, anyway i will find out going to tear into it today.

thanks for the responses.

oh yeah i know like i said i've been lucky so far with what i have done but i think my luck has run out. :lol: now i need to start carrying spare parts. but hey at least i still was able to drive home.

thanks for the tip. now i need to figure out how i'm going to get it out, tried earlier but wouldn't come out. so i will try something different tomorrow but earlier so i have time and more daylight to work with.

Plan on breaking more stuff running that size of tire with a welded rear end.

There's gotta be a limit for tire size on stock diff's. Look for a 3.9 Legacy rear diff. Set up for more HP, so the gears and internals should be stronger.

oh yeah i know like i said i've been lucky so far with what i have done but i think my luck has run out. :lol: now i need to start carrying spare parts. but hey at least i still was able to drive home.

thanks for the tip. now i need to figure out how i'm going to get it out, tried earlier but wouldn't come out. so i will try something different tomorrow but earlier so i have time and more daylight to work with.

can't get the bolt in the stub out?

I got this idea from McBrat, it's a hand impact tool, you hit it on the end with a hammer, and it puts a little torque on the bolt, that way it's harder to round off the bolt head, I found one in the JCWhitney catalog, it was cheap ($$), but it was cheap (POS), I'll see if I can find it on their website so you can get an idea.