Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help me! Im stumped

Ok, so I have a early brat with a EA82 engine. engine runs great, but I have an issue with I believe is the tranny. Its not the CV's and not the drive terrain. it makes this violent clunk when I engage and tranny. It coast's smooth and quiet, I checked CV's and rear drive axels's nothings hitting or rubbing. when I had my buddy drive it slow I ran next to it and sounds like its comming from the tranny. when u go over 30 mph, its so loud and violent I cannot drive it... It gets a bit hairy. any idea what it would be..

Does it do that when you aren't in 4wd? If so, grab the inner DOJ (axle cup) on the front differential and see if you can wiggle it up and down side to side(both sides)...if it moves more than you think it should it's probably the diff bearings or you could pull a front axle and put it in gear (2wd only) and give it a little gas. Hear the same noise? I had the same problem, I swapped the tranny out and then messed with the little bearing caps that have that keeper on it that's bolted to the tranny. I spun them off and wiggled the diff...then put the races back on the bearings...put the caps on and turned them until they are snug and put the keepers on.

How tight should I have put those on?

But I haven't got to try the tranny in a car yet, so I have no way to test to see if I fixed it.

I'm with the axle theory. If the violent shaking occurs during acceleration and goes away completely when you let off on the gas, it's the inner joint of the axle (one or both). CVJs will click on turning; DOJs can shake violently under positive throttle and and smooth out instantly when you coast (never click on turning). I've had this so bad once that I thought the tranny would fall out. Both the EA81 and EA82 drivetrains have a 3.900 ratio front and rear so that shouldn't be an issue unless you did something really strange with the EA82 swap. My comments apply to the gen2 Brat; I'm not sure which version your "early" brat is.

ok, so when I let off the gas and its still in gear, it proceeds to make violent loud shaking, if its in neutral theres no problem. putting it in 4wd makes no difference, maybe slightly more viloent but not enough to notice. I did check rear drive shafts and everything from the front to back. even walked with it while it was driving slow. As far as I can tell it sounds like its coming within the tranny. "WOuld it bind up and make the car lurch and jump with loud clicks and metallic noises?" yes it does this but not a CV click its a Boom click. liek u see the car shake with the boom. (People stare at me going down the street, Weirdos) I dont think the diff would effect even if swapped out cuz it does it when its not in 4wd. I tried this though today.... I jacked the front end up with a couple of jacks and started it up and put it in first gear and let the wheels Idle in the free air ( This is a Subaru diagnos technique, I think ;) and so it still does it.. Almost like theres somthing in tranny like a bad gear. though it does it in all gears. ( I know its not the CVs.. no noise is coming from them and theyre new!) Ive had bad cv's and ran them with a different sub till one blew. Im familiar with the CV noise. I dident do the engine swap, I bought the baby from 100 bucks and I repair the head gaskets. any idea?? thanks for the help so far!!

Austin

I had this same problem. What I did as a band-aid was take out one of the front axles and put a outter stub in place(the end of the axle with the threads) so I could drive it until I got the replacement tranny. You have to drive it in 4wd which would power only the rear wheels. The tranny made a rattling noise but it didn't bind up the car, after I took the front axle out.