Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brake grinding noise

90 Loyale. I know I read about this recently on this or the New Gen site but I can't remember the answer anyway so here goes.

When I apply the brakes when they are cold, the front brakes make a grinding/crunching noise (like when you have no cartilage left in your knee) but this goes away after a few minutes (the knee doesn't get better though). The brakes are worn but have some meat on them. Any ideas other than replace the worn pads with Subaru pads and cross my fingers??

If they are grinding then they must be bad. Probably ruined your rotor by now. Just replace them and then you don't have top worry anymore. Plus, remember, Brake dust is very corrosive. I just had front brake problems with my mustang. It was doing the same thing. The brake dust ate my wax off that side of my car. and actually stuck to the car and rim and is now rusting.

You're sure it's the brakes? And your sure it grinds? Can you feel it in the pedal or does it pull? Is it one side or both? How's your fluid level? Your fluid will build up pressure once everything is "warmed up" . Try starting your car and just pumping the pedal for a minute or two then drive it and see if it still does it. He doesn't sound like a very good mechanic if he couldn't tell you what it is. Let us know. Boz

give the e-brake a pull at speed(to stop normally, not lock them up!)

see if the noise is still there. the parking brake connects to the front calipers, and activates the pistons the same as the hydraulics do.

i would say from my experience the pads arw worn down enough to grind, but havent been that way long enough to tear up the rotor.

my rear disc brake on one side just started to grind out of the blue, although its due for pads. but it doesnt show any damage on the rotor as of yet.

if you change your pads right away, you can spare the rotors.

remember, on a subaru, the front pistons have to be turned clockwise to push them in, because of the parking brake mechanism

if ya got rear discs, a c-clamp or some big channel locks will do the trick to push them in normally.

You sure it isn't the rear drums in need of adjustment? It can be hard to tell where the sound is comming from sometimes. Especially when it only does it when cold. I had the exact same sounds comming from my wagon last year - only when cold, first few stops. I did brand new pads in the front, and it didn't stop! Turned out the rear drums had some pretty nasty old shoes in them, and had been out of adjustment for a long time. I did the front cause the pads were also very worn, and I just assumed that was the cause of the noise.

GD

can you "feel the noise" through the brake pedal.

there are stories of brakes locking up after a wash, maybe moisture has to do with it, until they "warm up"

the best thing to do is have a look-see.

a 14mm will get the caliper off, and a 17mm will get the bracket off.

you have to ubdo the big axle nut to take the rotor off, but only if you are replacing it or having it turned.

really just take off the tire and one 14mm bolt!

can you "feel the noise" through the brake pedal.

there are stories of brakes locking up after a wash, maybe moisture has to do with it, until they "warm up"

the best thing to do is have a look-see.

a 14mm will get the caliper off, and a 17mm will get the bracket off.

you have to ubdo the big axle nut to take the rotor off, but only if you are replacing it or having it turned.

really just take off the tire and one 14mm bolt! get some anti-seize compound when going back together, helps keep things free moving