Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wanted: Hitachi Vacuum Advance units

I discovered today that a aftermarket supplier that I use no longer carries the Hitachi Vacuum Advance (for the standard EA81 distributer found on my '84 wagon). They used to carry it for around $21 plus shipping. Information from Hitachi is:

Hitachi Auto Part

44R83-24007

Does anyone else have a supplier of these units? Any of you Portland guys have a contact within Philbin Industries (http://www.philbingroup.com/fhhistory.htm) and see what it would cost to re-do the diaphragms inside these units in small quantities (like 10 at a time)? I think if you check your cars you'll find that the diaphragm is shot and the vac advance no longer works. I'd be willing to initiate a group buy if we can find a supplier or have Philbin rebuild used ones.

I have 2-EA-81 engines here, both with dead vac units on the distys. I would love to find a place to get replacements. I've had the thought of pulling one, sending it to Philbin, then do the other one when the rebuilt one comes back. But being able to get replacement units would be the better way for me.

I have an old disty from my 83 EA81. I think the pickup coil and/or ignitor is bad. But I think the vac. part is still OK. Is this what you mean>

If so, PM me and I can arrange to send it to you.

Better yet, emailing me might be better. I check email more often than msgs here.

oldude8@yahoo.com

Now that I think of it, does it matter that the disty is nippon denso?

I ain't that bright.

I have an old disty from my 83 EA81. I think the pickup coil and/or ignitor is bad. But I think the vac. part is still OK. Is this what you mean>

If so, PM me and I can arrange to send it to you.

Better yet, emailing me might be better. I check email more often than msgs here.

oldude8@yahoo.com

Now that I think of it, does it matter that the disty is nippon denso?

I ain't that bright.

Yes it matters. That's why I only have Hitachi distributors; that way I only have to find Hitachi ignitors in the boneyards. Thanks for the offer though. I sent an email; maybe TomRhere can use the ND version.

• 3 years later...

you might check the junkyards for older datsun dizzys, hitachi is pretty much standard and you might find a compatable part. justa thought.

if you go to the yard and find one that works you might be able to get new aftermarket for it still

Thanks guys...

I just got back from the local Subaru junkyard and we went throuigh all the stuff with no luck. It looks like I may have to make one from some other vacuum diaphram. The distributor is good amd does not have the usual worn bushing problem so I don't feel like spending almost two C-notes just to get a good vacuum advance. I might just chuck this on up in the lathe and cut off the lip so I can take it apart and maybe make two rings to clamp it back together.

Later...

Amazing when I saw the original post date on this thread. Some people do use the search engine!

Anyway (GD probably knows this), is Philbin still in business and rebuilding vacuum advance units for a reasonable price?

Anyway (GD probably knows this), is Philbin still in business and rebuilding vacuum advance units for a reasonable price?

Yeah - they are still around as far as I know. They do all kinds of stuff besides distributors. Someone I work with recently mentioned them in reference to some DC motors I think...

http://www.philbingroup.com/

GD

GOOD NEWS !!!

At least it is if you need this part. It is the Hitachi vacuum advance diaphragm that is no longer listed as available for the 1981 GL but it is available through Rock Auto, http://www.rockauto.com as part # VC-429 for a 1982 Honda. The part is identical and it works. It is marketed through Standard Motor Products of Long Island City , NY.

Go to http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1169603,parttype,7232,partGroup,25 to see the actual listing of this part.

Edited by Darkside Dave

I was just about to add that old Hondas used a similar Hitachi distributor as the Datsun and Subaru.

The advance might be different, but any vacuum advance is better than none at all. It makes a huge difference to fuel consumption. The older Haynes manuals sometimes had the distributor specs, if you are curious about what you are getting.