Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AWD/4WD Impreza, it works! WHOAH! (4EAT = AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, not 5spd)

Andyjo

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for resurrecting this, but I just stumbled onto it. Figured it would be easier than making a new topic.

Andyjo, anything new to report other than your bashed oil pan?

I've got a DPST switch or two lieing around, might have to go all out if I do this though. :grin:

Gonna go dig around my engine bay tommorow and see what I can do, probably gonna install a tranny cooler and flush it out first though.

Sorry for resurrecting this, but I just stumbled onto it. Figured it would be easier than making a new topic.

Andyjo, anything new to report other than your bashed oil pan?

I've got a DPST switch or two lieing around, might have to go all out if I do this though. :grin:

Gonna go dig around my engine bay tommorow and see what I can do, probably gonna install a tranny cooler and flush it out first though.

but...this doesn't have anything to do with this thread...

really old :slobber:

uhh status on the oilpan.. some silicon rtv is holding the oil in...

as for the switch, go for it! just be reminded that the 4eat is not a happy beast if you run it in that mode for a prolong period of time... when i was offroading (and bashed in my oilpan) i was running around w/ the 4wd on, and doing some pretty gnarly offroading, and the car started shaking really bad after a nasty hill... i let the tranny cool down and it was fine...

really old :slobber:

uhh status on the oilpan.. some silicon rtv is holding the oil in...

as for the switch, go for it! just be reminded that the 4eat is not a happy beast if you run it in that mode for a prolong period of time... when i was offroading (and bashed in my oilpan) i was running around w/ the 4wd on, and doing some pretty gnarly offroading, and the car started shaking really bad after a nasty hill... i let the tranny cool down and it was fine...

I've had mine on for hours at a time with no issues. When the transfer clutch is "locked", it isn't generating any heat. If left unlocked, it would generate a lot of heat due to constant engaging/disengaging and partial engagement. So I postulate that if you had built up heat, it was due to the torque converter, not the transfer clutch override.

• 8 years later...

Operose,

all I did was intterupt the wire from pin 11 with a switch, with the switch on it runs normal (AWD), with it switched off the output is definitly 50/50 at the center diff.

Hi guys, bumping an old thread here in hopes of some help. I just performed this mod and now I am getting a flashing AT OIL TEMP light any time I switch to 4wd (interrupt the wire). I cut the brown wire and wired in a switch. With it uninterupted, no lights and is normal. As soon as I flip the switch, the AT light flashes continuously. Any ideas?? '00 impreza OBS

Edit: I had read somewhere that the AT light would only flash if you started the car with the wire interrupted. If you interrupt it it while driving it shouldn't flash...

Edited by joebush44

• 4 weeks later...