Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wiring a trike

redsatt

hi all, anyone out there a wizard at wiring? im building a trike with an EA 82 engine and auto trans from a front whel drive Loyale, 1991 vintage, id love to use the SPFI and computer and such but would like a bit of help figuring out the wiring of same, what about all the sensors, such as th O2 sensor, I plan on using dual pipe exhaust with bike mufflers, do I just put the O2 sensor in one pipe or do i need some other arrangement?, I have a chiltons manual with fairly good wiring diagrams but some input from someone in the know would be a great help! thanks , my e mail is redsatt@hotmail.com, hope someone can help

I have found a couple of members with parts to convert to carb system but would really like to use the Fuel injection. i have been in contact with a guy who has built a subaru trike and has a pretty good website its at www.trikerlee.com and e mailed him for a bit of advice, but just got that its easy to do, ha ha , well it may be for someone whos done it but im a bit befuddled! anyway hope someone can give me a bit of a place to start at least

thanks again : Dean

Sounds like a cool project.

The wiring for this fuel system is not particularly difficult. Do a search on the board for "SPFI conversion manual". That will yield the link to the manual I wrote last year, which explains how to put the SPFI fuel system into a carbed Subaru of that vintage.

In short, what you'll be doing is taking the entire wiring harness from the dash forward, hooking up all the stuff the engine needs to run, then hacking everything else away.

As far as the oxygen sensor is concerned, I can't see any reason why just putting it in one of the pipes wouldn't work. It might not be quite as accurate, but it should still be darn close, and definitely good enough to make it run well.

This will kill my parts sale!!:grin: On the bright side I don't have to pull all the goods now!

I told you snowman would set you straight on the conversion and you will be happier with the fuel injection as oposed to the carby set up. Checked out the conversion thread, seams to be very through thou I didn't read the hole thing.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress. Some pic's would be cool if your one of the lucky ones with photo gallery capabilities!:rolleyes: Stumpy

Dear Dean 08:55 01-09-06

I'm sorry but I don't have a wiring diagram to give you. The worst manual is made by chilton. Haynes has a usable manual though. So you have a 1991 Loyale engine.

An induction system using the fuel injection is good. Use the original computer. Fool it by supplying signals that keep it satisfied. Remember you need a signal to the computer wherever it was supplied by the car.

Supplying signals ( your good book ) for 1 or 2 oxygen sensors is very easy. Assuming you don't have to meet emissions standards just use a resister to supply the voltage signal that you need. The starting battery has 14.6 volts charged up. That way the computer will think every thing is fine.

I use two mufflers ( stock ) from a sportster. I bought these dirt cheap and brand new.

Lee at

www.trikerlee.com

• 2 weeks later...

hi snowman

I have gone over your article , very informative!

just one question for now, i am using an automatic, fwd tranny from another car, my soob was 4 wheel drive manual, the car the tranny came from was badly damaged in the front endso the harness was torn up some. i was able to salvage most of the plugs off the harness on it and all of the under dash stuff. the engine sustained some minor damage, mostly bent pullys, one broken valve cover etc. the tranny is ok, i had it looked over.I have all the harness from my manual soob. my question is, what do i need to change to hook up the auto trans? you allude to it as being better to use the system from the same car (manual trans) but that one can change over for the other trans, but fail to say what needs to change. i dont see much other than maybe the park switch , but is there a difference in computers or something? the 2 computers i have have the same part number . anyway if theres anything you can add plese do, i appreciate the help so far but may have to holler again as i go along, hope you dont mind. the trike project is moveing along, hope to have it ready to play with by summer but depends on how much time i get to work on it. thanks again

Dean (redsatt@hotmail.com)

As it turns out, you can use the auto computer with a manual tranny or the manual computer with the auto tranny. I was under the impression that they were different when I wrote the manual, but have since been corrected.

As far as the park switches and stuff, you shouldn't have to worry about them. They are only there to prevent starting in gear, and if they aren't hooked up, the computer will think it's in neutral all the time.