Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello folks!

I recently got my Outback back from the shop. It was a 96 automatic with the 2.5L engine. It blew a HG and I decided after much research and deliberation that swapping in a 2.2L was the best idea. I think I was right. Runs beautifully and I can hardly notice the drop in horsepower. Additionaly it looks like its getting around 29MPG up from the 25-26 I was getting with the 2.5 (not to mention now I can use the cheaper gas!).

I notice that at highway speeds the RPMs are down considerably. For example, at 75MPH it is almost exactly 3000RPM. I remember for the 2.5 75MPH would yield like 3200 or 3300. Why is this so? I would guess with less horsepower the RPMs necessary would be greater to drive the car at a given speed.

Thanks for your input,

Damien

the RPM drop would only occur with an automatic, not a manual.

could it be that while rated at a higher hp/tq, the 2.5 had lost some efficiency over the years due to age, overheating, bad headgasket. i assume you replaced it because the head gasket was bad, so it probably hasn't been running at top efficiency for some time. might be why a fresh 2.2 feels nice and has lower RPM.

Sounds like the torque converter wasn't locking up for some time until the engine was replaced, due to some sort of electrical glitch which became cured after the connections were taken apart and put back together.

Hello folks!

It was a 96 automatic with the 2.5L engine.

I notice that at highway speeds the RPMs are down considerably. For example, at 75MPH it is almost exactly 3000RPM. I remember for the 2.5 75MPH would yield like 3200 or 3300. Why is this so? I would guess with less horsepower the RPMs necessary would be greater to drive the car at a given speed.

Thanks for your input,

Damien

This is kind of strange...you would think that the torque converter would be locked at that speed/rpm regardless of the engine...:-\

Anyway props to you, the EJ22 is an excellent engine. My friend just prematurely ended the life (dumped the oil) of a '97 2.2 with like 289K miles on it! It ran like a NEW engine...well, better 'cause of exhaust and intake mods (including removal of the Catalytic converters), and a lightened flywheel. All of which I would recommend...If you had a 5-spd.

Cheers,

Stephen