Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Teardown + Rebuild

So I've got this EA81 sitting inside that we took out of my lifted Brat, and I started to tear it down today as kind of a winter/learning project. I've never torn into an engine before and I kinda want to see what its made of.:) I PLAN on maybe rebuilding someday if I don't break anything from now til then. So far this engine is NASTY, its got burned antifreeze all over it from the major carb leak it had on the way back from WCSS7, its got a bad oil leak from the oil pump, and so far 2 of the bolts on the intake manifold have snapped off.:banghead: I may be able to get them out still. So my questions are:

-Are there any special tools required to tear this puppy down?

-Any tips on what should be done to it performance wise?

-Any general tips for rebuilds, anything I need to know?

Thanks for the help, I'll get pics soon.

there is a large allen key key you will need to remove the wrist/gudgeon pin plug. You have to remove atleast 2 pistons on one side to split the block. when taking off heads there is an order to loosen the nuts. Make sure you lable which piston goes in which bore and lable the parts so you can put the valves, rocker assy. and tappets back on the place from where it came from orriginally. other than that have fun and try not to loose any bolts :P

intake bolts are problems on the EA82 and ER27 as well, i've had many many of these snap.

if you have any more that are stuck, spray liberally with Liquid Wrench or PB BLaster (don't use WD40, not nearly as good). try to get it down or around the bolt hole if there is any access at all. if they come out a little bit then start to bind or won't come out, tigthen them back down, then loosen, then tigthen. repeat this a few times before trying to get them all the way out. tap the head with a hammer.

if you can get it out at least about 1/4 inch, this has often worked great for me, use a prybar to exert alot of upward force on the bolt while simultaneously turning it out with the socket wrench. need enough room under the head to get the prybar / digging bar under it. i've had alot of bolts that come out a little bit, but then spin in place and won't come the rest of the way.

drills and sawzall can finish a really tough job.