Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My parents are wanting to get a new vehicle, because they don't like driving the Jag in the snow. They want something bigger, and are looking at getting an H3. I told them that a forester would be a much better choice for what they need (they are expecting a baby, and want something safer and larger), and told them about better gas milage, cheaper, better resale value, much better 4wd system...

How else can I convince them that the Forester is the way to go???? I would be really dissapointed if they got pos h3.

Thanks, Phil

Tell them that you will wreck it on purpose.

ha ha.

amen to the roll overs, a couple just died in MD this summer when their hummer rolled over on the interstate. i HATE driving SUV's and my big a## truck (SUV's feel worse than my truck), they sway and handle horribly. they feel safe. if yo'ure a terrible driver and plan on running into things an H3 might offer something. if you're a good driver soobs are the way to go in my oppinion. i've put 45,000 miles in a year on a car before, i drive alot and i've had to swerve out of the way of some random things before...animals, idiots, drunk drivers, people going the wrong way, crazy heads. i've spun out and done near 720's before and feel in those situations an SUV could have easily rolled. i like knowing i won't roll in an emergency situation...unless of course you go off road anything rolls, but you see my point.

i feel your pain. but if they own a jaguar then my guess is functionality, reliabilty, cost effectiveness, ease of maintenance and all other things practical and logical go out the door. i don't think your chances are too good, but do your best to steer them in the right direction.

Coming from Detroit, and working in the Auto industry, i can say without hesitation that they will be unhappy with the H3.

The reasoning that my dad got a forester and not some domestic designed car was that he wanted a car to keep for 10-15 years, if your parents are gonna keep the car for longer than the warranty, you'll want to be buying a Japaneese car.

but if they own a jaguar then my guess is functionality, reliabilty, cost effectiveness, ease of maintenance and all other things practical and logical go out the door. i don't think your chances are too good, but do your best to steer them in the right direction.

That's about right. They have money, and rarely keep a car for more than 3-4 years. Hopefully they will see how bad these larger vehicles are.

That's about right. They have money, and rarely keep a car for more than 3-4 years. Hopefully they will see how bad these larger vehicles are.

One of the nice things about having "money" is having the option to buy what you want. if your parents want to buy an H3- let them. I don't know much about the car- but if they keep it for 3-7 years, long term reliability is not going to be an issue. While an SUV may not be any safer than a conventional car, it probably isn't more dangerous. honestly, if I could afford it, I would have bought a bigger car than my forester. I love my forester, and for the money, I think it's the best car i could have gotten. But I would have rather gotten a larger minivan or suv just for the convenience. (personally I don't like any of the hummer line- I'd rather have a chevy tahoe and I hate the tahoe)

(personally I don't like any of the hummer line- I'd rather have a chevy tahoe and I hate the tahoe)

I hate the Hummers as well. That is one of my main problems with them getting one. And it would be soooo much cooler to have a turbo forester.

I hate the Hummers as well. That is one of my main problems with them getting one. And it would be soooo much cooler to have a turbo forester.

Cooler for who?

A H3, Tahoe, or any other SUV will provide alot of things for "New" parents(lol). The Foresters are sort of small all things considered. I remember hauling more stuff for the kid than I ever needed on a week long camping trip. Short term vehicle ownership will make it worth it for them. They do not sounds like the type of people who cater toward Subaru. Can't force them. Afterall they are grown ups now aren't they?

turbo forester over a freakin Hummer? get real maybe not the H3 but i would take a H2 and H1 over it anyday. Size and road status is what they want which the hummer does better, not to mention it would do much better offroad.

Compromise with them. There is not much backset room in a Forester and the paper today had an item that says that sport utilities are not safer than smaller vehicles becuse of the roll over risk. Put forth an Outback with an H6. That way you get H into the equasion and they get a safer car with better mileage.You may get stuck with this car to go to college after all and if this was not a public forum I would expalin why an Outback is better for dating.

WRONG

The new hummers are not equipt to go 'offroad' i mean foresters arn't either, but they'll still do better than those large pieces of trash.

I have to disagreee there.

The H3 is a damn site better than ANYTHING in it's class.

Coming from a Jeep guy, that's saying something.

H3 offroad package includes STOCK...

Locking rear Diff(not LSD, LOCKING) 4:1 Tcase, 33" tires,4.56 gears full skid plates, and Tow points.

KJ(Liberty) has NONE of those options available.

Those are the only 2 small SUV's worth mentioning.

The h3's need the Turbocharged, or Supercharged I5 in the worst way.

Add a 305 V-8 and it'd be perfect.

When GM decdes to up the power, I know what I'll be looking at in 10 years to buy, and wheel.

H3 screams poser if your parents want it for a family car, though I would still take it over the forester. Sorry if I missed this, but why not recomend the tribecca, or a high end outback?

I personnaly strive to one day own an H1, I absolutly love that thing.

If they are in the market for a small SUV here is what I would recomend( * show favorites). I exluded the Land Rover series, though I like them, they arent too reliable, and I don't know too much about them.

Small:

1. Acura RDX(07)********

2. Lexus RX330*******

3. Jeep liberty**

4. Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner***

5. Infiniti FX35******

6. Chevrolet Equinox*

7. Chrysler Pacifica****

8. Subaru B9 Tribecca*****

Mid Size:

1. Jeep Grand Cherokee***

2. Infinity Q45**

3. Chevrolet Trailblazer(ss is fun)****

4. For Explorer/Mercury Mountaneer/Lincoln Aviator*

5. Acura MDX*****

Large:

1. Jeep Commander****

2. Ford Expedition/Lincoln Navigator**

3. Chevrolet Tahoe***

4. Hummer H3*

5. Infinity QX56******

6. Lexus GX470*****

Supersized:

1. Chevrolet Suburban***

2. Ford Excursion**

3. Hummer H1 Alpha****

4. Hummer H2*

This is just my slightly educated opinion

H3 offroad package includes STOCK...

Locking rear Diff(not LSD, LOCKING) 4:1 Tcase, 33" tires,4.56 gears full skid plates, and Tow points.

i'm guessing they would have to look up "off road" in the dictionary, i don't think they're too concerned with that.

Agree, its like having a license plate: SMLL PNS

HA HA HAAA!!!!!! nice one!!

i agree with shawn on the 4-runner, those things are rediculous. my best friend has one and i'm thankful for it...unbelievable vehicle (i never have to work on it!!!!!). 190,000 and it's like new and has never had a thing replaced....one power steering pump, that's it. no alternator, no pulleys, no water pump, nothing. i'd go 4runner in a second if they still have the same SR5 motor in them that his has.

If they want a hummer, a subaru is probably totally out of the question. Both have a certain status around thier name, which may or may not have anything to do with the actual car. Most subaru people wouldn't be caught dead driving a hummer, and vice versa. There are logical arguments about why the hummer is a good off road vehical. But it's still a Hummer, so I would view driving one as a form of public humiliation. Maybe a H6 or Tribeca would entice them though, as those are getting pretty far away from the old subaru paradigm of cheap 4wd car.

For long term reliability, I'd get something japanese. The subaru's, or a 4runner or landcruiser, or lexus if they want really high end. My friend was just telling me this weekend that she expects her new Ford Explorer to have something major go wrong around 60k miles. This is while we are driving to go skiing in my '89 GL with 206k, because it's better in the snow anyway.