Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Here's my situation...

I needed brakes done on all 4 wheels of my '03 outback (warranty expired)...got it done at the stealership and they turned the rotors for me...this was back in early October and a little over 3 thousand miles ago.

In November, the cold weather starts to set in in the mid-Atlantic states and i start to hear the brakes screaching in the morning backing out of my driveway. Once i'm driving it, the noise disappears, even in reverse (after the car warms up). I did some research on this site and i think i found the problem...there was a bulletin about adding shims to the brake pads in all outback's prior to '02 because some customers were complaining of noises on cold mornings. There was also a chart with the updated OEM parts and the part numbers that they would be replacing.

I checked the brake job invoice, and sure enough, the part numbers were nearly identical to the "old" OEM parts that came from the bulletin board. Which means, i got the brakes without the shims.

Took it back to the dealer today for a scheduled oil change and told them to investigate my problem, gave the mechanic a copy of the bulletin i found on this site. I knew they would fight it, the guy says he can't reproduce the noise and that i need to leave it there overnight so they can check it in the am. They don't want to replace my brakes as per the bulletin because it may not be the problem and they'd lose money on the parts if that's the case.

He said he'd give me a rental while they check it out, but quite honestly, i don't have the time to play games with the dealership. It's pretty obvious what the problem is, and i don't see the point in trying to reproduce the noise, anyway. Would appreciate your opinion on the matter, should i play games with the stealership and try to get the correct parts, or just leave everything alone and deal with a minor annoyance? No other problems with my brakes, by the way, no noises after driving for a while, only in reverse on cold mornings.

I quit turning rotors a long time ago, you are better off to buy a new one for around 40.00 bucks. As for as the squeal you could probably just add a little anti squeal to back of pads and it should take care of it.

Here's my situation...

I needed brakes done on all 4 wheels of my '03 outback (warranty expired)...got it done at the stealership and they turned the rotors for me...this was back in early October and a little over 3 thousand miles ago.

In November, the cold weather starts to set in in the mid-Atlantic states and i start to hear the brakes screaching in the morning backing out of my driveway. Once i'm driving it, the noise disappears, even in reverse (after the car warms up). I did some research on this site and i think i found the problem...there was a bulletin about adding shims to the brake pads in all outback's prior to '02 because some customers were complaining of noises on cold mornings. There was also a chart with the updated OEM parts and the part numbers that they would be replacing.

I checked the brake job invoice, and sure enough, the part numbers were nearly identical to the "old" OEM parts that came from the bulletin board. Which means, i got the brakes without the shims.

Took it back to the dealer today for a scheduled oil change and told them to investigate my problem, gave the mechanic a copy of the bulletin i found on this site. I knew they would fight it, the guy says he can't reproduce the noise and that i need to leave it there overnight so they can check it in the am. They don't want to replace my brakes as per the bulletin because it may not be the problem and they'd lose money on the parts if that's the case.

He said he'd give me a rental while they check it out, but quite honestly, i don't have the time to play games with the dealership. It's pretty obvious what the problem is, and i don't see the point in trying to reproduce the noise, anyway. Would appreciate your opinion on the matter, should i play games with the stealership and try to get the correct parts, or just leave everything alone and deal with a minor annoyance? No other problems with my brakes, by the way, no noises after driving for a while, only in reverse on cold mornings.