Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo vs non-turbo axles

Guest Hondasucks

Guest Hondasucks

Ok what years were the Turbo axles bigger than the non-turbo, and was it only on the manual trannies, or was it on the automatics as well?

Guest GlCraigGT

I'm 99.9% sure that turbo axles were bigger then the other axles for all years of ea82. Both manual and automatic got them.

if you are trying to tell ea82 axles apart look at the shaft on the CV end. You should see what looks like a bump where shaft diameter gets a little bigger then back to normal. If there is 1 bump it's a 2wd axle, 2 bumps for 4wd and 3 bumps for turbo. Note this only aplies to OEM axles, with aftermarket axles; you never know.

Guest Hondasucks

I looked the parts up on The Parts Bin, and it showed a part number for 1986 Automatic Turbo 4WD axles, but it said "call for availability" for 1986 Manual Turbo 4WD front axles.

Guest GlCraigGT

you might want to call a dealer in the morning and confirm. At the subaru shop i worked at, when we sorted used axles in our parts warehouse, we only did it by 2wd, 4wd and turbo. it didn't matter what transmission they came off of nor did it matter when we put them on cars.

Guest GlCraigGT

I can't remember. It's been 6 years since i worked there. The only thing i remember about the stub axles is that they are held in using a snap ring