Ultimate Subaru Message Board

(homemade 6" lift)yeahh baby...PICTURES PG 3

scrap487

well I'm finally getting around to putting the lift on my rig, thought I'd make a thread just to keep track of what I'm doing and my progress, also for others to look at and maybe give me pointers on stuff that might be better to do differant or to give other people ideas. this is a basic 6" body lift, using 6"x2" 3/16" rectangular tubing with 2" square tubing to tie the blocks together. i haven't decided what I'm going to do about the struts in the front, for the rear shocks I will be replacing them with longer shocks, and hopefully will be able to find something that wont require much modification/fabrication.

got the metal and stuff for my lift last night, cut it up and drilled it at my old highschool in their machine shop... their equipment is from the 30s so its kinda rough and not very "straight" anymore, meaning my blocks are also kinda rough and hopefully dont need the holes to be lined up perfect... :banghead:

anyways, I'm getting started on the back tonight. I will bolt things up and get stuff ready to weld for tomorrow, my neighbors suck so i can only really work untill about 9 or 10pm before they start to whine about the noise.

I have a camera and I want to post pictures as I go, but could someone tell me how to post pictures in the usmb photo gallery? I havent figured it out.

a 6 inch lift? dang man you must really want ground clearance!!! im wondering where you got your long bolts for the lift? and how many "points" do you have to lift to get it done?

~Josh~

well I'm using 14 lift blocks, if thats what you are asking. I'm using my rear trailer hitch to jack up on and place jackstands on while I work on the rear, I'm not sure how I'm gonna hold up the front untill I look at it really good.

I dont need long bolts for the lift, because I'm using rectangular tubing, I will be using 2" bolts. if I find I need long bolts I can either get some all-thread or go down to oregon spring or some machine shop and have them made if I need it.

I'm getting rid of my lifted jeep cherokee that sits on 31s, I wont settle for any less ground clearance than I had with that.

btw if anyone wants a lift jeep cherokee that has seen some pretty good offroad use, I'm asking 1500... I need it to buy my tires and pay off my dad..

to post pictures click on 'Photo Gallery' on the top toolbar thing (the dark grey), then a screen will come up, just under where you clicked on 'photo gallery' there will be a yellow link that says 'upload photos', you can do it up from there, you can also make albums by going through the 'album admin'

w00t! more lifted subarus! yay! :grin:

psssst.....I've got better clearance in my 4" (high clearance) lifted, with 28" tires than my buddies 6.5" lifted, with 35" tires YJ....he's got me owned in almost every other category though

haha, measuring from the body or the differantial :lol:

hey I'm going 4 wheelin tomorrow morning with my jeep, anyone wanna come along to tow me out? :lol: I need to get into some extreme stuff and take pictures so maybe people will be more interested in my jeep. I'm thinking bout either heading out to estacada or tillamook unless someone else knows better spots to go that are closer.

haha, measuring from the body or the differantial :lol: [\QUOTE]

body....he's got me there....but because of his body lift, his t-case is still lower, and front leaf shackle lift, I've even got better approach angle, if he didn't have more power, better gearing, better articulation and a rear locker, I might be able to give him a run for his money.......

I'm still keeping my subaru....no heeps for me thank you

good luck on your project! maybe you can buy some pre-fabbed front strut extensions from SJR or something

ok I encountered another problem... brake lines too short(duh), so since I know I didnt need them I ended up cutting them, I couldnt get them off any other way to let the rear subframe thingy drop down enough. any tips/pointers/advice/etc.. to get them off?

thanks

I cut mine also, didn't even try to get the old ones of yet. Wanted to get the wheels back on to see how it sits.:brow: Replacements came in the AA kit for the rear but my fronts are to short also. Will be checking into replacements for those unless AA supplys them.

Do you have line wrenches? They should work the best plus some type of penetrator wouldn't hurt. Stumpy

I cut mine also, didn't even try to get the old ones of yet. Wanted to get the wheels back on to see how it sits.:brow: Replacements came in the AA kit for the rear but my fronts are to short also. Will be checking into replacements for those unless AA supplys them.

Do you have line wrenches? They should work the best plus some type of penetrator wouldn't hurt. Stumpy

nope... one of my friends might tho, I'm not gonna worry about it till I get everything else done later... who needs brakes anyways :grin:

p.s. I suggest you dont drive on the road when I do... :headbang:

eh I dunno, i havent need a line wrench for anything else and it seems like this is a job I'll only be doing once or twice at best.

anyways my progress thus far has been to get the rear subframe rump roast'y dropped... friggin exhaust hangers and heat sheilds that run along the exhaust hung everything up and it took me the longest time to figure that out too :banghead:

well tomorrow I will bolt everything up, and hopefully be able to weld things up in the rear and(optimistic...) get the front end taken apart and ready to put together.

Harbor Frieght has line wrenchs at a resonable price. What area do you live in? I have line wrenchs but don't make it into town very often, mostly the east side or Gresham. Better to do it right and not have to replace the complete brake line because of damage to the end(Not sure what you call that hollow nut like piece)

My exhaust was easy as I just scraped the whole thing. Will modify the Legacy one when I put it back together.

well unfortunately i didnt get any work done today, took the ol heep out, everything was all fun fine and dandy, and as soon as I get on the highway coming back and hit forth gear, the little plastic peice on the end of the connecting rod for the clutch master cylinder decides to break, ended up driving 60 miles back home with a fair amount of city driving with no clutch... i just replaced the whole assembly like two months ago cause I had the same thing happen...

anyways as much as I hate to say it, without some help, I think my subaru project is doomed at this point, two vehicles broke down today, both of which I have to fix tomorrow, school starts monday, I got a god damn TICKET for not having an atv/ohv permit($140... god, those pigs dont got anything better to do)

the front has to wait at least untill the next weekend because i have to drive this thing to school, but I just hope I can get what i need to make the rear end work right for now and get it together so I at least have a start on it. this is soo great, I take a day off from working on my car or doing anything to go out and play in the jeep, and everything has gotta stack up all at once.

blah... well now I know its at least gonna happen :lol:

you can't run , you can't hide,murphy will always find you.....:drunk:

:lol:

I dont think there would really be a problem if I hadnt ran out of beer... :brow:

update: I've gotten the rear bolted up and almost ready to go, I'm just waiting for my friend to get back with the sqaure tubing he promised me to tie the blocks together, who knows maybe I'll have time to get the front done this weekend, but i have to drive this thing bright n early to school on monday regardless of its condition.

ok I encountered another problem... brake lines too short(duh), so since I know I didnt need them I ended up cutting them, I couldnt get them off any other way to let the rear subframe thingy drop down enough. any tips/pointers/advice/etc.. to get them off?

thanks

Find a small pipe wrench. It mangles the fittings, but they COME OFF.

Flare renches suck

Line wrenches suck

Once you try a Pipe Wrench, you'll NEVER use anything but.

ok, as soon as I get batteries for my camera I'll have pics up, so far only got the rear in and all i have to say is oh my gawd, it sits as high as my jeep(3" lift w/ tires approx 31.5"), and its on the stock cookie cutter tires. my girlfriend already hates me, I finally got a car she can get into and now she cant, and my mom is gonna be pissed next time I take her grocery shopping... hopefully she wont want me to take her shopping no more :lol:

I still need to find brake lines and shocks before I drive it around the street right now, right now its kinda fun driving it around but w/ no shocks the thing would be a nightmare at high speeds. I think I'm going to need help with the front if anyone would be available, I'm also losing my welder tomorrow cause my uncle needs it back :-(.. I'm at a total loss of whats the easiest best way to go with the strut extensions.

make extensions that come out of the knuckle instead of on the top.....just watch the camber before you weld anything.....

my welder is going back to my uncle in a couple days, I cant start on the front untill tuesday so I might not have it, hoping for a bolt on solution that isnt permenant... this car is FUN with no shocks in the back...