Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just did a bling-bling window tint job on my wagon - 5% on the back windows, and now I can't see anything though the back window at night unless it has a freakin' spotlight on it. (I must say, however, that this is particularly useful for tailgaiting SUVs.) Is there a way to radically brighten up the reverse lights, or will I just end up blowing a fuse?

For those of you thinking about tinting your windows yourself, my advice is this - don't offer yourself a warranty. Otherwise you'll just end up doing it all over again. If I didn't already have some peeling paint (and almost 250,000 miles) I'd be pretty self conscious about the little bubbles, jagged edges, seams across the back . . . The thing is, all considered I think I did a pretty decent job.

Adam

I don't know how much power the reverse circuit can take. I think I've seen 50 watt backup bulbs though. Check JcWhitney.

If it can't handle it, you could always put in a relay driven by the current backup circuit, and wire it directly to the battery with a new 20 amp fuse.

Z

I just did a bling-bling window tint job on my wagon - 5% on the back windows, and now I can't see anything though the back window at night unless it has a freakin' spotlight on it. (I must say, however, that this is particularly useful for tailgaiting SUVs.) Is there a way to radically brighten up the reverse lights, or will I just end up blowing a fuse?

For those of you thinking about tinting your windows yourself, my advice is this - don't offer yourself a warranty. Otherwise you'll just end up doing it all over again. If I didn't already have some peeling paint (and almost 250,000 miles) I'd be pretty self conscious about the little bubbles, jagged edges, seams across the back . . . The thing is, all considered I think I did a pretty decent job.

Adam

Haha, well you could get an emergency light permit and add strobes:drunk:wish I could get a good picture of that on mine but they go off too fast, the only way really is to make a movie. It does look cool though to have the only sub on the block that can pull people over...:D

In my old '65 Pontiac, I modified the housings to take the clip in 55W halogen fog light bulbs, worked great and never blew a fuse. If I was redoing it today I'd add a power relay to take the high load off the stock circuit.

BTW, the '65 Pontiac housings are cast metal not plastic.

Gary