Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 Clutch Kit in '86 GL 5sp Right?

Ok, I need some ressurance that the XT6 Clutch kit will work as a replacement for my slipping GL clutch. I'm really a noob on my GL compared to my Legacy so help me out guys:D Is this a go? And what were the benefits again? Thanks.

///Mark

1986 GL Wagon 5spd with 4hi/4Lo 223000mi

I was wondering the same thing. I was reading this other post and it sounds like a direct bolt on. Qman is using one in a Brat with a EA82 trans.

Here's a link to the other thread with discusion about the XT-6 clutch if you haven't already seen it.

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5300

BTW, do you know baccaruda? He's in Spokane too.

Mark

Does this only add to the durability of the clutch or does it add performance or make the car harder to drive?

I am doing the same thing except on an ea81T engine and 88 RX trans.

Can I use the whole clutch kit with TO bearing or is that trans specific? Does the xt6 flywheel have to be used if you use the xt6 clutch or can I use the ea81 or ea82 flywheels?

Originally posted by XSNRG

I was wondering the same thing. I was reading this other post and it sounds like a direct bolt on. Qman is using one in a Brat with a EA82 trans.

Here's a link to the other thread with discusion about the XT-6 clutch if you haven't already seen it.

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5300

BTW, do you know baccaruda? He's in Spokane too.

Mark

Thanks XSNRG! I remember searching for the info and coming up with that thread and assumed it was a direct swap too, though being a Brat with a EA82, I didn't know if that came into play. So basically, if I get a XT6 clutch kit (includes flywheel right?) it should pop right in?

//Mark

P.S. No Haven't meet Barracuda yet. But I would like to get a Eastern WA / Idaho meet together before the weather gets too bad.

Clutch kits do not include flywheels. they generally include clutch disc, pressure plate and TO bearing.. If you want a new flywheel, you will pay very dearly for it. Try a wrecking yard for the flywheel

1stsubaruparts.com has the flywheel for an XT6 listed at around $225.. not as bad as I thought it would be

OK, I found some more info. The GL EA82 and XT-6 clutches are the same diameter and the same number of splines but are different kit numbers. From what I've heard, I'm 99% convinced that a GL 4X4 flywheel, clutch and pressure plate are interchangable with the XT-6, all or part. The Xt-6 flywheel is (6 lbs?) lighter than the EA-82 counterpart. I'm guessing the XT-6 has a stiffer pressure plate?

I guess I'm still in the dark:rolleyes:

Originally posted by calebz

Clutch kits do not include flywheels.

Actually, clutch kits can be purchased which include a pre-turned flywheel, and you later return your core. They're more expensive that kits without, of course, but they can save some time, because you don't have to wait for your flywheel to be turned.

In general, unless you had completely smooth clutch engagement when your clutch started slipping, and there are NO blue spots or small cracks in the friction surface area of your flywheel, the rule is to always have it turned.

Unless you don't mind that juddery feeling every time you launch.